Premed 101 Forums

Have you taken an Extra year to improve grades? share your thoughts please

I have decided to stay an extra year to improve my grades. I recently graduated from Biology program with a CGPA of 3.0 and a final GPA of 4.0. Ive been told that if I stay an extra year, I could have a shot at Canadian as well as American universities.

I go to Ryerson, and I'm kind of confused in terms of picking the rights courses this year. would it make a different whether I take ONLY science courses or could I also take upper liberal courses in a variety of subjects. is there anybody with the same experience who could help me on this matter?

I have decided to stay an extra year to improve my grades. I recently graduated from Biology program with a CGPA of 3.0 and a final GPA of 4.0. Ive been told that if I stay an extra year, I could have a shot at Canadian as well as American universities.

I go to Ryerson, and I'm kind of confused in terms of picking the rights courses this year. would it make a different whether I take ONLY science courses or could I also take upper liberal courses in a variety of subjects. is there anybody with the same experience who could help me on this matter?

Unless I am reading your post incorrectly, I don't see how just one year will make up for your prior years. Since you graduated, you obviously completed your degree. At my university, completing a degree means you have to finish all the required courses of that program as well as have 120 credits in total. Now assuming that you have completed at least 120 credits (possibly more), then I don't see how an extra year (which I assume means taking a full course load of 30 credits) will make you competitive. I haven't done the calculation myself, but I don't think that your GPA would increase very much (definitely not enough to reach a competitive GPA).

Once again, I may be wrong based on the information if provided. However, if I am correct, then I believe your next option is to complete a second degree.

Good luck!

A couple universities (Western, Queens, Saskatchewan) look at top two years, so if you did well in your last 2 years and plan to do well this year as well, then it would definitely allow you to be more competitive. Also, you can take this year to build on experiences, EC, and do things you won't be able to do once you graduate.

I know that all those schools plus most American schools look at the best 2 years... I already have one year with a GPA of 4.0, thats why Im planning to take this extra year to have best two years... but I was wondering what courses I should take in order to be a competitive applicant. like I said Ive already graduated so the courses that I could only take some random courses, but not sure whether taking science courses only or taking upper liberal courses would make a difference

I know that all those schools plus most American schools look at the best 2 years... I already have one year with a GPA of 4.0, thats why Im planning to take this extra year to have best two years... but I was wondering what courses I should take in order to be a competitive applicant. like I said Ive already graduated so the courses that I could only take some random courses, but not sure whether taking science courses only or taking upper liberal courses would make a difference

I've never heard of this, do you have a source? I'm pretty sure they look at your cGPA.

US schools wont be looking at my best two years, but considering that I will be able to increase my GPA up to 3.4-3.5 I think would allow me to apply to american schools with a good MCAT score...

now I appreciate if somebody could answer my question lol... What courses should I take??

If your planning to apply to western make sure you meet the 60/40% course level rule and American schools look at your cGPA not last/best 2 I believe.

If the OP has graduated there is actually a different set of rules than the 60/40 - the so called "special year" :) Point is of course look up and make absolutely sure the year counts.

I absoulutely agree with deathvvv opinion. Some of my friend are in the same situation and they are coming back for another degree or a minor in psychology. Most of people find psychology interesting and and you need to spent less amount of studying compared to science classes. Another factor to take into consideration is that you can take course that help you with mcat, such as physics but you need to spend more time studying for these courses. hope u find it helpful.

btw I dont get this 60/40 rule; what is that all about?

I absoulutely agree with deathvvv opinion. Some of my friend are in the same situation and they are coming back for another degree or a minor in psychology. Most of people find psychology interesting and and you need to spent less amount of studying compared to science classes. Another factor to take into consideration is that you can take course that help you with mcat, such as physics but you need to spend more time studying for these courses. hope u find it helpful.

btw I dont get this 60/40 rule; what is that all about?

before you graduate for western to count the year you have to have 3.0 credits out of the standard 5.0 credits at that year or higher. So you have to have 3.0 credits of 2nd year courses or higher in year 2, 3.0 3rd year courses or higher in year 3 and 4th year is special as you just need a combination of credits from years 3 and 4 that add up to 3.0.

It really isn't a 60/40 rule as you can take more than 5.0 credits.

Now again to be clear if you graduate this doesn't apply(!). You are then in special year rules.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your ideas. I've decided to apply to US MD and DO medical schools, and Ive also decided to repeat all those Science courses that I did bad to get all As, that way not only my CGPA will increase but also my SGPA will also increase... but im not sure whether US medical schools mind if I take an extra year just to repeat my bad grades...any thoughts?

Archived