Premed 101 Forums

I didn't take physics for Uni. Should I add it in?

Hello. I have not added a physics course in my University schedule. Considering there is physics on the MCAT, should I replace my Classical Greek Civilization for a Physics course?

They're both half credit. I took Greek because I didn't know what else to take, and it's a great GPA booster.

It depends on if you are willing/have the self-discipline to learn it on your own or if you'd rather have it taught to you; some schools do require it or do require a 'physical' science, but it's definitely not a requirement for all med schools in Canada :)

Also, is it your first year? In my opinion if you already have 2 lab courses in your first year, (i.e. bio and chem), then you may want to save that physics course for another year; plus, you're elective, 'GPA booster may be a good way to alleviate your load :P (just make sure it's interesting as well as easy- or it may not turn out to be that easy!)

It depends on if you are willing/have the self-discipline to learn it on your own or if you'd rather have it taught to you; some schools do require it or do require a 'physical' science, but it's definitely not a requirement for all med schools in Canada :)

Also, is it your first year? In my opinion if you already have 2 lab courses in your first year, (i.e. bio and chem), then you may want to save that physics course for another year; plus, you're elective, 'GPA booster may be a good way to alleviate your load :P (just make sure it's interesting as well as easy- or it may not turn out to be that easy!)

Thanks. Yep, it's my first year, and I already have 2 labs for Chem and Bio, a tutorial and a seminar. I guess I should save physics for year 2?

:)

Thanks. Yep, it's my first year, and I already have 2 labs for Chem and Bio, a tutorial and a seminar. I guess I should save physics for year 2?

:)

Yeah, I would save it for year 2, or another year where you don't already have 2 courses with labs, b/c they can take up a lot of time, I'm sure you can get a second opinion on this as well :)

I took physics in my first year as it was all fresh in mind from high school. Thats also something to consider. And the labs for first year courses are every other week so just make sure not to have all 3 in the same week.

That is not true of all schools. At my school, my physics and bio labs are weekly, my chem lab is biweekly.

If you know that to be the case for the OP's school, you've made a good point. I just thought I'd add this in case people at other schools are reading this thread. :)

If you're not great at physics and are in a university town over summer I highly recommend doing it then.

I did first half summer after first year and 2nd half summer after second year, writing my mcat in 3rd year. Worked out well for me because it was low stress and I could focus totally on it.

I also found that writing the mcat when I did helped me out because i had already matured as a student - I knew how to study well and had lots of background in each section. Not ideal for everyone but worked out great for me

Archived