Premed 101 Forums

low average in 3rd year due to sickness.

meeno

Hello,

I got my first set of F grades this past semester when I got sick right at the end of the winter semester fudging up all my progress from the school year to end up with a big fat F. in 4 classes.

I am in the process of appealing it based on medical circumstances. ( my case is pretty solid.) but on the off chance that the petition gets rejected how does this reflect?

Any feedback regarding this is useful. These are two third level classes and one fourth level one.

Hello,

I got my first set of F grades this past semester when I got sick right at the end of the winter semester fudging up all my progress from the school year to end up with a big fat F. in 4 classes.

I am in the process of appealing it based on medical circumstances. ( my case is pretty solid.) but on the off chance that the petition gets rejected how does this reflect?

Any feedback regarding this is useful. These are two third level classes and one fourth level one.

Why didn't you just defer your final exams?

Whatever happens with your current appeal, you will have another bite at the apple in describing special circumstances when you apply, which will be considered together with your dramatically improved grades since. Let the games continue. :)

Sorry, but I have to disagree. There's virtually no way to describe special circumstances when you apply- which schools do you want to apply to? Where are you IP?

There are some schools that will drop your lowest year or apply a weighting formula.

This might be better asked in the non-trad forum, BTW.

4 F's just because final exams? You said fudged up, so I assume you wrote them, correct? They must have been worth a lot and not multiple choice huh.. You will probably be able to make up a nice sounding story for the admissions committee.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. There's virtually no way to describe special circumstances when you apply- which schools do you want to apply to? Where are you IP?

There are some schools that will drop your lowest year or apply a weighting formula.

This might be better asked in the non-trad forum, BTW.

It's really variable depending on the school whether there even IS an option for special consideration. Most schools have an "additional information" box, but God knows how seriously they take it or if they even read it. I looked into this but my situation ended up not being a deal breaker, so I can't comment on what your chances are of actually GETTING consideration.

I applied to U of A, for example, and their policy states:

An example of a set of circumstances that would merit special consideration would be where a student might have had a serious illness during their undergraduate studies, which caused their academic average to be lower for that year than would have been expected; this could be considered special circumstances.

If I were you, I'd just concentrate on your appeal and on doing as well as you can, and when you are ready to start applying, contact the admissions offices of the schools you are applying to and find out exactly what their policy is, what documentation you need, and how it will impact your application. Also get familiar with weighting formulas and how they may help or hurt your application. You'll really need to look carefully into each school's policy and figure out how to work things in your favour, but it's not a lost cause, especially if your other years are good and you have solid medical documentation.

Hello,

I know that in addition to UofA, Mcgill considers extenuing circumpstances.

Archived