Premed 101 Forums

Matching to FM with only post-carm electives?

Late change in heart... love FM (emerg etc) but was gunning for gen surg all along.

Post-carms meaning after farms applications - but a couple weeks before interviews...

All other electives are in gen surg/internal medicine.

Are my prospects grim?

If I may, why FM more than gen surgery?

I myself hesitated between gen surgery and EM (or FM to do EM), and opted for gen surg

I didn't like having to ALWAYS work with a fast pace, take night shift, psych patients, false emergencies, drug addicts and not being the one who definitely cure the patient...

2 of my friends had the same dilemma, 1 opted for EM and the other one gen surg. I guess this tough decision is common among med students!

Late change in heart... love FM (emerg etc) but was gunning for gen surg all along.

Post-carms meaning after farms applications - but a couple weeks before interviews...

All other electives are in gen surg/internal medicine.

Are my prospects grim?

I have seen that happen before - there are a lot of family spots after all and if you start now making some noise it will even help. Not sure if it is too late to change electives at your school - it isn't at Western - but I beat you could even change some of those to family if you really pushed. Talking to your local program director now as well to give him/her a heads up will make your application ultimately stronger (and again probably help with those electives).

Family is zero competitive. Unless you have a precise location in mind, as long as you're a little flexible you'll be fine. Zero competitive, there are always spots left over in 2nd round (and even after 2nd round). None of my friends who got into family had done rotations in family.

Archived