Premed 101 Forums

Canadian DAT

Yes. You can write on the paper but only with the pencil they provide you with (i.e. no highlighters, etc.) - at least where I wrote it. Some may allow a highlighter or two. I don't know what you mean by 'touching' the paper for PAT. As long as you don't do anything funny with the paper (e.g. trying to fold it, trying to measure the angle with your pencil, etc.), you should be fine.

Hmm...maybe your proctors were a bit more strict, I actually tore a corner off a page in the test booklet and used it to approximate the tougher angle questions. I wouldn't recommend that for every angle question since it's time consuming but it worked like a charm for the tough ones.

None of the proctors gave me any grief for it, although its not like I announced it to them either, they may have simply not noticed.

I think you can measure the angle with your pencil. Everyone I know who wrote the DAT did that, there are no rules stating you can't do this as far as I know.

Yes. You can write on the paper but only with the pencil they provide you with (i.e. no highlighters, etc.) - at least where I wrote it. Some may allow a highlighter or two. I don't know what you mean by 'touching' the paper for PAT. As long as you don't do anything funny with the paper (e.g. trying to fold it, trying to measure the angle with your pencil, etc.), you should be fine.

They give you a couple pencils, and an eraser if you ask. No other tools can be used. They also give you a sharpener that you can use then give back. The pencils are the old-fashioned yellow ones, non-mechanical.

There might not be any rules for using the pencil to measure the angles or tearing a paper off the bottom, but if the coordinator/proctors see you doing it, they might disrupt your test and ask what you're doing. If they don't like what you're doing or it's borderline cheating, then you're probably not going to finish that test, hopefully just a warning though. If you are caught and it is considered cheating, then good luck with your future application because it will probably be noted with your DAT ID.

For PAT, I eyed it as best as I could and it worked well for me. I don't know how useful being good at angle discrimination is, but when you're grinding a crown down it's quite useful being able to tell how much a millimetre is.

You can mark up the tests as much as you like with the pencil, like writing equations on the side circling answers and crossing others out. Using the pencil to underline is especially useful for the RC section.

They still use amalgams?

amalgams are stronger, cheaper, last much longer, are more durable, wear much slower, are more compatible with soft tissues, have better occlusal anatomy, and are least technique sensitive. dentists who would want to replace a perfectly fine amalgam restoration with composite probably just want your money.

amalgams are stronger, cheaper, last much longer, are more durable, wear much slower, are more compatible with soft tissues, have better occlusal anatomy, and are least technique sensitive. dentists who would want to replace a perfectly fine amalgam restoration with composite probably just want your money.

This is completely incorrect. Composite is a much better material. Although the anatomy is much more difficult to establish in composite, the benefits and end result are second to none. Composite is a biomaterial designed to be compatible and integrate into the tooth tissue (both enamel and dentin) to have a more secure hold. It promotes bone growth and overall tissue health. Unfortunately, many dentists still use amalgam as a way to decrease expenses. Amalgam is a poor substitute for lazy dentists who aren't competent in dental anatomy.

This is completely incorrect. Composite is a much better material. Although the anatomy is much more difficult to establish in composite, the benefits and end result are second to none. Composite is a biomaterial designed to be compatible and integrate into the tooth tissue (both enamel and dentin) to have a more secure hold. It promotes bone growth and overall tissue health. Unfortunately, many dentists still use amalgam as a way to decrease expenses. Amalgam is a poor substitute for lazy dentists who aren't competent in dental anatomy.

??? where are you getting this from? how does it promote bone growth and how does it integrate into dentin? how is composite a biomaterial??

... you're not even in dental school yet.

??? where are you getting this from? how does it promote bone growth and how does it integrate into dentin? how is composite a biomaterial??

... you're not even in dental school yet.

Do some research, I'm not here to argue, but there's a reason amalgam isn't used anymore an it's not just because most amalgams still have Mercury. There's a reason you'll use composite in third and fourth year.

Do some research, I'm not here to argue, but there's a reason amalgam isn't used anymore an it's not just because most amalgams still have Mercury. There's a reason you'll use composite in third and fourth year.

did you take biomaterials in dental school yet?

not here to argue either, but I've done my research and I'm just interested to see where your evidence is coming from that contradicts the American and Canadian dental associations, dent textbooks, my dental school lectures, and profs. and we use both composite and amalgam in third and fourth year. it just depends on the situation and patient preference.

sorry, please check your facts and read some textbooks.

also, you need a 90 degree angle for amalgam, not acute

pretty sure you will use amalgam in dental school wherever u go...

http://www.cda-adc.ca/en/oral_health/procedures/fillings/metal.asp

http://www.cda-adc.ca/en/oral_health/procedures/fillings/tooth-coloured.asp

http://www.ada.org/1741.aspx

soooo youre gonna say that the CDA is wrong...

anyways-way off topic, the DAT doesnt really help predict dentistry success. just another hoop to get through.

sorry, please check your facts and read some textbooks.

also, you need a 90 degree angle for amalgam, not acute

pretty sure you will use amalgam in dental school wherever u go...

http://www.cda-adc.ca/en/oral_health/procedures/fillings/metal.asp

http://www.cda-adc.ca/en/oral_health/procedures/fillings/tooth-coloured.asp

http://www.ada.org/1741.aspx

soooo youre gonna say that the CDA is wrong...

anyways-way off topic, the DAT doesnt really help predict dentistry success. just another hoop to get through.

Retention on a class one is occlusal convergence 5-10deg... That would be an acute angle. Also I said you would use amalgam in dental school and my evidence is based on asking many dentists.

Retention on a class one is occlusal convergence 5-10deg... That would be an acute angle. Also I said you would use amalgam in dental school and my evidence is based on asking many dentists.

So your evidence is basically worthless then? How many dentists did you ask? 10? 20?

I completely hate amalgams. Aside from the mercury composition issue, amalgam filling are usually more touch sensitive than composite.

I remember when I had an amalgam filling many many years ago, whenever spoon (or aluminum foil by mistake) would hit my amalgam I would get a touch sensitive feeling, more like a battery current passing through.

On the cosmetic side, Amalgams look horrible compared to white fillings.

Honestly I don't even see how one could do so well in this section unless the 2 or 3 degree difference is actually measured by a pencil. I have been practicing for about 2 months on crack dat and have stayed stagnant at about 4 mistakes in this section.

I think you can measure the angle with your pencil. Everyone I know who wrote the DAT did that, there are no rules stating you can't do this as far as I know.

I did a few practice tests once and after I finished I went back and measured it with a protractor, it was 1 degree difference. For those ones, just do your best and move fast.

this

cut your losses and guess-usually u can get it down to 2 answers

personally i found angles the hardest and probably missed a lot of those but still ended up doing well

Archived