Premed 101 Forums

Separate different activities with the same organization?

I have volunteered for the past three years with an organization that matched me with disabled people for one-on-one work. I worked with one individual for the first two years and then another one for the final year. The work I did with these two people was very different, but it was under the same organization and ultimately had the same goal (to help disabled people get active).

Should I include these activities separately, which has the benefit of having more space to elaborate on the details? Or should I put them together, which has the benefit of longevity and adding the hours together? Granted, the people reviewing my file could recognize that they are from the same organization even if they are separate and thus realize the long term commitment, but I think the longevity will appear more pronounced if they are together.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Just because I go to UBC does NOT make me an expert at all in this. However, to me, if you are working for the same organization with the same title/role it is one entry.

Examples:

1. I had a similar situation where i volunteered in a hospital for a while, I then became a team leader and trained new volunteers. Since my title changed and my role was different I entered them as separate activities even though the organization was the same.

2. If you were working at starbucks and you working with a certain coffee machine for 2 years, and then starbucks got a new one that was very different... would you put starbucks twice on your resume? or would you just expand to say that you have experience on both machines?

lol, lame example but i think it gets the point across :)

I have volunteered for the past three years with an organization that matched me with disabled people for one-on-one work. I worked with one individual for the first two years and then another one for the final year. The work I did with these two people was very different, but it was under the same organization and ultimately had the same goal (to help disabled people get active).

Should I include these activities separately, which has the benefit of having more space to elaborate on the details? Or should I put them together, which has the benefit of longevity and adding the hours together? Granted, the people reviewing my file could recognize that they are from the same organization even if they are separate and thus realize the long term commitment, but I think the longevity will appear more pronounced if they are together.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Put them as one item. To separate the two might seem disingenuous even if your role was very different. You were in the same position with the same organization.

Archived