Premed 101 Forums

Anyone Study At Guelph? Looking for Course Feedback

So, I'm currently doing a second degree in Applied Human Nutrition at Guelph. Becoming a Registered Dietitian is my back-up if I don't get into medical school (didn't take a full course load during my first degree due to some serious medical issues, which are now either resolved or under control).

Anyhow, I need to choose some electives, and I was wondering if anyone went to Guelph, and maybe took some of these courses, and might have some feedback on what they were like. Thanks.

NUTR*3330 Micronutrients, Phytochemicals and Health

NUTR*4090 Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals

NUTR*4210 Nutrition, Exercise and Energy Metabolism

NUTR*4320 Nutrition and Metabolic Control of Disease

NUTR*4510 Toxicology, Nutrition and Food

NUTR*4360 Current Issues in Nutrigenomics

PATH*3610 Principles of Disease

TOX*2000 Principles of Toxicology

BIOM*3090 Principles of Pharmacology

HK*2270 Principles of Human Biomechanics

HK*4070 Clinical Biomechanics

HK*4240 Occupational Biomechanics and Ergonomics

NUTR*4210 Nutrition, Exercise and Energy Metabolism

Took it with Dr. Spriet and LOVED IT. Very study/research based course (here is a study by so and so who looked at (insert supplement here)'s affects on exercise tolerance...)

NUTR*4320 Nutrition and Metabolic Control of Disease

This course, not sure if it has changed or not, probably was the reason a few of my friends didn't get into med school. I heard (didn't take it myself) that the midterms and exam were beyond impossible. Who is teaching it? I can't remember which professor they had off the top of my head...

PATH*3610 Principles of Disease

I took it DE but if it's the same professor who taught it when I was there (4 years ago) I heard amazing things about his lecturing, but still a tough course. But one of those interesting tough courses that people do well in because they're interested in the material.

BIOM*3090 Principles of Pharmacology

Lots of memorizing but interesting. Basically: drug A acts on receptor 1 which has effects x y z on the body. Repeat and mix order.

HK*2270 Principles of Human Biomechanics

HK*4070 Clinical Biomechanics

I took 2270 and 4070 with Jim ****ey and loved both. He has a very particular way of testing though that some people didn't like (very applied questions, a few of his tests were completely open book if that gives you an idea). 2270 was similar to phys 1080 in terms of forces and motion. Very math based course (calculating muscle moments etc.)

If you have the option, maybe look into cardio-respiratory physiology (HK4550 when I was there). I took it with Spriet as well. Very interesting! And not too difficult. The lab component is interesting too.

Edit: so apparently Dr. D*i*c*k*ey's name is offensive to this board. :) Though I just looked him up and I think he's at Western now. Not sure what to say about 4070, I liked it because of the prof and did well with his method of testing. But 2270 would still be interesting, if you're good at/like math.

Edit: so apparently Dr. D*i*c*k*ey's name is offensive to this board. :) Though I just looked him up and I think he's at Western now. Not sure what to say about 4070, I liked it because of the prof and did well with his method of testing. But 2270 would still be interesting, if you're good at/like math.

Thanks jojo. :) Appreciate the time you took to reply. :) It sounds like HK*2270 might be a good choice - as my first degree was in engineering, I've taken lots of math (and done well in it) and have plenty of "regular" mechanics/dynamics courses (just no biomechanics).

NUTR*4210 is still listed as "TBD" for the prof, so I guess I'll wait and see who might be teaching it.

And thanks for the course recommendation - I'll see if I have the pre-reqs for it.

Thanks again. :)

Archived