Premed 101 Forums

specialty questions: paediatrics and ENT

Guest Jimbo

Was wondering about these two specialties.

Specifically, how much of paeds is dealing with babies, and how much is children over 2 years old? I like kids but I'm not crazy about babies so much.

With ENT, how much is seeing and consulting with patients in the office, and how much is operating in the ER? I am interested in a specialty that has a balance of manual activity and social interaction/intellectual components.

Guest Ian Wong

Peds? Don't know. I'll find out in a few months when I start my Peds rotation, which isn't until March. ENT, depending on your subspecialty is going to vary quite dramatically. A head and neck surgeon whose primary job is to remove tumours is going to spend much more time, and much longer times, in the OR versus a generalist ENT who may do many more tonsillectomies and ear surgeries, and therefore can put through many more patients in the same length of time.

Regardless, most ENT doctors, and surgeons in general in the city, will have approximately one day a week of operating room time, and the rest of the week will be devoted to seeing patients. Even if you are a surgeon, most surgeons, whatever their specialties, don't get more than one day a week of operating time here in Vancouver.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived