Premed 101 Forums

Interpretation of Condition of Admission

Guest HP

Wondering if anyone knew the definitive interpretation of the GPA requirement that is a condition of any admission offer. This is the text I'm talking about:

---------------------------------------------------

Acceptances are provisional; one of the conditions is that the official transcript for courses just completed shows maintenance of an overall average of 3.3/4.0 for 4-Yr Alberta, 3.5/4.0 for Non-Alberta and 3.7/4.0 for the 2/3-Year pool converted to match the University of Alberta 4.0 scale. Applicants currently registered in a university or college is required to forward final transcripts as soon as possible after final examinations are completed, no later than June 15th.

---------------------------------------------------

What I'm wondering is what the "overall average" includes. Is it just the most recent semester (Winter 2006)? Is it the most recent year? Or is it your overall average for every course you've ever taken? I have a feeling I might be close depending on the interpretation, so if anyone knows exactly what they mean here I'd appreciate any info!

Guest juicyprunes

I think overall means just that....OVERALL GPA of ALL the courses you have take upto and including this past academic year :) . Good luck!

Guest muchdutch

I'm not so sure. I would assume it would be in the term or the year. Either way, you will still theoretically have had well over this mark to be competitive, so it should be easy-peasy to maintain your last term with a gpa (for the term, or the year) well over this mark. One term's worth of grades shouldn't theoretically knock you out of this range (unless you're a 2nd year applicant).

I am a third year applicant though, so the target is 3.7, not either of the others. You're right in that it's possible that I'm not going to be competitive anyway, but I was still curious about the exact meaning. I guess one way or another it will be sorted out or won't matter at all.

Guest summervirus

I think that it means you have to have an average of 3.7 (or more) in your last year. That's how it was explained to me when I applied many years ago. Your fall and winter marks of the year of your application is what they look at for this cutoff.

Hahaha...well...I was hoping that wouldn't be what it was, but it does make the most sense seeing how they seem to be trying to make sure you don't chuck your last year. Ah well, see what happens I guess.

Archived