Premed 101 Forums

Best prep book

NeuroPreMed

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, i didn't even think of ebay. Thank you good sir.

Also, that student doctor link is phenomenal!

Hah, yeah I was gonna say didn't you score well?

I did, although my practice score one week into the course was already a 33O (12PS,8VR,13BS) and I ended up with a 37Q (14PS, 10VR, 13BS). I definitely improved, but not by much. I don't know how much of this improvement was due to the the course, and how much was due to my own studying.

I did, although my practice score one week into the course was already a 33O (12PS,8VR,13BS) and I ended up with a 37Q (14PS, 10VR, 13BS). I definitely improved, but not by much. I don't know how much of this improvement was due to the the course, and how much was due to my own studying.

Damn, i hope i start with a score like that haha.

Damn, i hope i start with a score like that haha.

My actual first MCAT was done almost a year ago and was a 28P (10PS, 7VR, 11BS), which I consider to be my true diagnostic.

I hope that you have a nice starting score as well. I assume you're going to write it after 2nd or 3rd year though, so you still have some time.

The SN2 schedule recommends BOTH the EK101 verbal and the hyperlearning, I think. When I got the books last year, it was hard to track down all the books esp the hyper learning one so I ended up having to pay a lot for shipping to Canada from the student doctor forum since most ppl are in the US (and some ppl on ebay.com won't ship to Canada) and from Berkeley Review. If you can, try to find a seller in Canada, either through ebay.ca or maybe even kijii or whatever. It will save you a lot of money in shipping and border tax.

My actual first MCAT was done almost a year ago and was a 28P (10PS, 7VR, 11BS), which I consider to be my true diagnostic.

I hope that you have a nice starting score as well. I assume you're going to write it after 2nd or 3rd year though, so you still have some time.

Yeah well like I posted in another topic; I'm hoping to take physics 2/2. Chem 1/2, orgo 1/2. Biol depending how you look at it could be 2/2 or just 1/2, and then other courses but ones that aren't applicable to the MCAT. I'm hoping with those (most are intro level courses that give me a good understanding) and the books I should be able to get a decent score.

The SN2 schedule recommends BOTH the EK101 verbal and the hyperlearning, I think. When I got the books last year, it was hard to track down all the books esp the hyper learning one so I ended up having to pay a lot for shipping to Canada from the student doctor forum since most ppl are in the US (and some ppl on ebay.com won't ship to Canada) and from Berkeley Review. If you can, try to find a seller in Canada, either through ebay.ca or maybe even kijii or whatever. It will save you a lot of money in shipping and border tax.

Yeah that's what I was ultimately hoping to do. I had a feeling most of those books came from state side.

Yeah well like I posted in another topic; I'm hoping to take physics 2/2. Chem 1/2, orgo 1/2. Biol depending how you look at it could be 2/2 or just 1/2, and then other courses but ones that aren't applicable to the MCAT. I'm hoping with those (most are intro level courses that give me a good understanding) and the books I should be able to get a decent score.

Yeah that's what I was ultimately hoping to do. I had a feeling most of those books came from state side.

if you are not in a hurry, keep checking on craiglist or ebay.ca, I have seen them being posted once in a while, pretty recently, keep checking and see if anybody is selling, if I wasn't in such a hurry last year, I wouldn't have had to pay so much from the states,

if you are not in a hurry, keep checking on craiglist or ebay.ca, I have seen them being posted once in a while, pretty recently, keep checking and see if anybody is selling, if I wasn't in such a hurry last year, I wouldn't have had to pay so much from the states,

Yeah that was the plan. I just wanna make sure they don't have writing in them..

I've got the full TPR hyperlearning set (2010 or 2011 and includes the verbal workbook) in Edmonton. I wasn't really planning on selling it, but if you guys wanna send me offers I'll consider. I've got EK 101 verbal too. None of the books have any writing in them and they are in near new condition.

I've got the full TPR hyperlearning set (2010 or 2011 and includes the verbal workbook) in Edmonton. I wasn't really planning on selling it, but if you guys wanna send me offers I'll consider. I've got EK 101 verbal too. None of the books have any writing in them and they are in near new condition.

Someone make him an offer he cannot refuse.

I gotta get on this!

I'm taking Physics II in Spring (May to mid-June), and then a two week vacation to California. Planning on starting (full-time) MCAT study in the first week of July and writing the exam towards the end of August... preferably a week's rest before school starts.

I really hope I have enough time to study and do well on the exam. Since Physics II doesn't count in my GPA, I might slack off a little in labs and start Chemistry along with Physics during Spring. Hopefully, having done CHEM I and II, OCHEM I and II, PHYSICS I and II, BIOL I, Physiology I and II, Microbiology and Immunology in University will cut down on my studying time.

Will use AAMC #3 as a diagnostic exam (I wish there was another option as that stuff is so outdated) during Christmas break.

Thinking of buying:

- Complete EK set (I don't require knowledge from the basics)

- EK 101 Verbal Passages

- TPRH Verbal Book

- TPRH Science Book

- AAMC FL exams (probably ~3-5)

Good plan?

I gotta get on this!

I'm taking Physics II in Spring (May to mid-June), and then a two week vacation to California. Planning on starting (full-time) MCAT study in the first week of July and writing the exam towards the end of August... preferably a week's rest before school starts.

I really hope I have enough time to study and do well on the exam. Since Physics II doesn't count in my GPA, I might slack off a little in labs and start Chemistry along with Physics during Spring. Hopefully, having done CHEM I and II, OCHEM I and II, PHYSICS I and II, BIOL I, Physiology I and II, Microbiology and Immunology in University will cut down on my studying time.

Will use AAMC #3 as a diagnostic exam (I wish there was another option as that stuff is so outdated) during Christmas break.

Thinking of buying:

- EK 101 Verbal Passages

- TPRH Verbal Book

- TPRH Science Book

Good plan?

It might depending on what school you apply to - so try to not slack off :P

Otherwise it is a good plan, but ~1.5months might not be enough. It might, but it might not. You'll gauge that after you do several practice exams. I'm also writing next summer so we'll be MCAT buddies yeahh haha =D

I gotta get on this!

Thinking of buying:

- EK 101 Verbal Passages

- TPRH Verbal Book

- TPRH Science Book

Good plan?

Even if you're only going to buy 3 exams, 10 & 11 should be in your list (it doesn't matter which one you use as your third).

Obviously I recommend doing all of them, but your condensed study schedule will most likely not accommodate additional FLs very well.

Savac, i actually forgot to ask you about exams as well. I don't know if those books I've looked at come with a couple or if i need to grab some on the side?

They come with questions, which are certainly useful in their own right, but they are no substitute for the real thing.

It might depending on what school you apply to - so try to not slack off :P

Otherwise it is a good plan, but ~1.5months might not be enough. It might, but it might not. You'll gauge that after you do several practice exams. I'm also writing next summer so we'll be MCAT buddies yeahh haha =D

The ones that I could potentially apply to do not factor in summer courses so my studying for MCAT essentially begins in May.

Even if you're only going to buy 3 exams, 10 & 11 should be in your list (it doesn't matter which one you use as your third).

Obviously I recommend doing all of them, but your condensed study schedule will most likely not accommodate additional FLs very well.

Yeah, I just need to get the feel for it. I don't think doing more tests correlates to a better score. Knowing the type of questions and being in a similar situation helps, and for that, I think 3-4 exams should do it. Obviously, I'll really know when I actually attempt it, haha.

Archived