Premed 101 Forums

Music Major applying next year

Hi There,

You'd have to search through the archives a little, but I am almost certain there was a music major who was successful in their app to NOSM. Was it the charter class? I remember reading it in this forum, so it's here somewhere.

Reviewing the stats of students from years past will help you guage where your application sits. (Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted sticky, and NOSM website with stats from previous years.)

I'm just applying now, however have spent the last six months preparing, so I can't provide you with any first hand experience. I think your background and ECs are different enough to grab attention, and that's always good. Focus on what makes you stand out from the crowd.

The one area you could work on would be your GPA. (Easier said than done, I know.) People have gotten in with less than 3.7, but that's something you have control over that, if you can bump up, would help your odds. Really work with your profs before hand, run drafts of assignments by them if they will accept, ask questions, and look for extra credit opportunities.

You may want to check out U of Ottawa, and consider McMaster too if you want to go all in. Check out the Non Trad threads (and forum) for pointers from people who have actually made it. :)

Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement, Real Beef.

I just handed in my app to volunteer at the hospital. I hope to hear back from them soon! It also looks like I might become a member of Toastmasters International and will join the youth join symphony again.

Wow, I am looking forward to the next year ahead!

Good luck to everyone else!

♪ ♫

Thanks for the encouragement, Real Beef.

I just handed in my app to volunteer at the hospital. I hope to hear back from them soon! It also looks like I might become a member of Toastmasters International and join the youth symphony again.

Wow, I am looking forward to the next year ahead!

Good luck to everyone else!

♪ ♫

Your enthusiasm is inspiring. I personally think that doing things you enjoy or find some sense of satisfaction from to become a better candidate will help you even if you don't end up in medical school. I always work better with a goal. I have not yet applied myself, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I'd suggest keeping up to date with topics that could help during the interview. There are some suggestions in older threads on this form. Good luck.

Your enthusiasm is inspiring. I personally think that doing things you enjoy or find some sense of satisfaction from to become a better candidate will help you even if you don't end up in medical school. I always work better with a goal. I have not yet applied myself, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I'd suggest keeping up to date with topics that could help during the interview. There are some suggestions in older threads on this form. Good luck.

Lafayette-

I do enjoy the activities I am involved in. I wouldn't participate in ECs/school/work if I didn't get a sense of satisfaction at the end of the day. To me, experiencing and learning something new is exciting, and that is probably is the same for you! Plus, joining a new organization isn't about beefing up an application to medical school. Interacting with different people, gaining knowledge, and working on character is something that is best for me, not my med school app. I have goals but it's the journey that counts. I'm am sure other readers, including yourself, would agree.

Anyways, keep up the good work and good luck!

"Nothing to lose, everything to gain"

I personally know 3 music majors who have gotten in to med school (2 to Mac, and one to U of T). I'm also a music major but won't be applying until next year! It is certainly possible. Your ECs look great and your connection to the north will hopefully make you an excellent candidate for NOSM. GL

• 2 weeks later...

Archived