Premed 101 Forums

Aamc 10

dazzle

Just did AAMC 10. It was graded harder than I expected. I thought I was doing fine and ended up with disapointing results.

Especially one passage in PS about the electron accelerator ****ed me up. Wtf is that cathode/anode stuff? Where was I supposed to learn about this?

Also, what is up with having to know what a "VOLE" is? Apparantly it is a rodent so I should have known the answer was "mouse"...

Just did AAMC 10. It was graded harder than I expected. I thought I was doing fine and ended up with disapointing results.

Especially one passage in PS about the electron accelerator ****ed me up. Wtf is that cathode/anode stuff? Where was I supposed to learn about this?

Also, what is up with having to know what a "VOLE" is? Apparantly it is a rodent so I should have known the answer was "mouse"...

I did aamc 10 yesterday. that passage was BS. I think there is no such device like that. That passage was garbage. But this time PS section had no hardcore mole calculations for chemistry so it was shorter time-wise. electron accelerator passage was one kinda passage to throw people off or have them make large amount of guesses when they did good on other passages.

Overall PS section was easy.

I guessed the one with vole, with the mouse. you are right, how r we supposed to know what vole means?

but you can reach that mouse answer by eliminating how other options have least with do with transmitting the disease due the limitation of interaction between species carrying pathogen with those who are supposed to get the disease.

I did aamc 10 yesterday. that passage was BS. I think there is no such device like that. That passage was garbage. But this time PS section had no hardcore mole calculations for chemistry so it was shorter time-wise. electron accelerator passage was one kinda passage to throw people off or have them make large amount of guesses when they did good on other passages.

Overall PS section was easy.

I guessed the one with vole, with the mouse. you are right, how r we supposed to know what vole means?

but you can reach that mouse answer by eliminating how other options have least with do with transmitting the disease due the limitation of interaction between species carrying pathogen with those who are supposed to get the disease.

The choices were fish, mouse, human, bird. Bird flu is in the news; humans transmit flu all the time; mice and rats are disease carriers too. Only fish in that bunch wouldn't transmit to us since we ingest them through stomach.

hahaha... couldn't you ask the same question about "fish"? like, a vole is an animal, as is a fish. it's true that the average north american (i'm guessing?... not going to be presumptuous regarding other parts of the world about which i know nothing) would see more fish than rodents in a lifetime... but it's just about as obscure as knowing that a squirrel is a squirrel is a rodent... they kinda just assumed you'd know, i guess? if you didn't hear that once in your lifetime, i wouldn't sweat it.... chances are you won't get another question that requires you to know a random (although, i guess?, somewhat common knowledge) fact about rodents.

hahaha... couldn't you ask the same question about "fish"? like, a vole is an animal, as is a fish. it's true that the average north american (i'm guessing?... not going to be presumptuous regarding other parts of the world about which i know nothing) would see more fish than rodents in a lifetime... but it's just about as obscure as knowing that a squirrel is a squirrel is a rodent... they kinda just assumed you'd know, i guess? if you didn't hear that once in your lifetime, i wouldn't sweat it.... chances are you won't get another question that requires you to know a random (although, i guess?, somewhat common knowledge) fact about rodents.

On AAMC 3, there was a question about why women are more prone to osteoporosis. Apparantly it is because they have lower bone densities. I never read that anywhere in my preparatory textbooks and never would assume such a difference between men and women. So dumb. Tired of this trivial pursuit ****.

edit: anyway, i was livid after my test, can you tell? :P

On AAMC 3, there was a question about why women are more prone to osteoporosis. Apparantly it is because they have lower bone densities. I never read that anywhere in my preparatory textbooks and never would assume such a difference between men and women. So dumb. Tired of this trivial pursuit ****.

edit: anyway, i was livid after my test, can you tell? :P

BUT TRIVIAL PURSUIT ROCKS!!! ya there's always some random junk that they manage to squeak in. on the actual test, there was one discrete question in PS that wasn't covered in the prep books i had used. obviously i had no idea on that one lol... ah well.

BUT TRIVIAL PURSUIT ROCKS!!! ya there's always some random junk that they manage to squeak in. on the actual test, there was one discrete question in PS that wasn't covered in the prep books i had used. obviously i had no idea on that one lol... ah well.

I had a random question in my BS that wasn't in my review either, I even went onto the e-book and searched for the term and it wasn't in there (this was after my test obviously). I can't remember the term now (wrote last summer), but I remember thinking it was bs haha.

That Particle Accelerator passage was THE BEST though! I found it to be the most interesting passage I've done to-date from the physical sciences (except for one I had on my real mcat, whose contents I cannot disclose).

Honestly, the way I approached it (and probably were expected to), is to think of the velocity-selectors that are covered in 1st year courses and organic chemistry (recall Mass-spectrum). If you thought of right-hand-rule and magnetism and the equilibrium between it and the electrical forces, you could've answered 5 of the 7 questions... the rest, yeah, were a little "guess-me" kind...

I think the best thing I extracted from it is that MCAT can make basic science look insanely complicated and hard... and it paid off on my actual.

That Particle Accelerator passage was THE BEST though! I found it to be the most interesting passage I've done to-date from the physical sciences (except for one I had on my real mcat, whose contents I cannot disclose).

Honestly, the way I approached it (and probably were expected to), is to think of the velocity-selectors that are covered in 1st year courses and organic chemistry (recall Mass-spectrum). If you thought of right-hand-rule and magnetism and the equilibrium between it and the electrical forces, you could've answered 5 of the 7 questions... the rest, yeah, were a little "guess-me" kind...

I think the best thing I extracted from it is that MCAT can make basic science look insanely complicated and hard... and it paid off on my actual.

I still don't understand what the passage was explaining with that particle accelerator. Care to explain how the machine works, including the multi-layered one?

haha I would have had no idea what that was if I hadn't recently read my nephew a picture book about a vole, which helped me remember the picture was of a small mouse looking animal.

Archived