Premed 101 Forums

Determination of Alberta residence

Guest Jochi1543

Guest Jochi1543

Well, I've checked out the U of AB and U of Calgary med schools' sites and they have this policy in regards to who's considered an Alberta resident:

For admission purposes, a resident of Alberta is defined as a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident (Landed Immigrant) who has lived in Alberta or Yukon or Northwest Territories or Nunavut for at least one continuous year immediately prior to the date of intended registration at the University.

I'm moving to Canada in May and it doesn't really matter for me where I move.....according to this, I conclude that if I move to Alberta in May, apply to U of A (and U of C) by November, and remain in Alberta up to the time of interview and hopefully enrollment, I will be considered an in-province? This sounds a little too good to be true that I could be considered an in-province after having lived there only a couple of months before applications, so I wanted to make sure I'm reading this right.8o

Guest Qwigley

I've heard (although I'm not sure if it's true) that people who are residents of the Northwest Territories get to apply to all schools as in province applicants since there are no medical schools in the NWTs.

If this is true and you are moving somewhere solely for the purpose of improving your chances of getting into Med, then maybe you should move to Yellowknife or something. I don't think that I'd advise moving to a certain city with the primary purpose being to improve your Med admissions chances. It'd be kind of like moving to a city because you hoped to start dating someone who lived in that city without being certain that you had a chance. What if it didn't work out? You might end up wasting 1.5 years of your life.

If I were you, I'd definately figure out some other reasons for moving to a certain place. That being said, Alberta is an awesome place to live; I've lived in both Calgary and Edmonton and both are great cities. I have to say that the Flames are better than the Oilers though.

:P

Guest Jochi1543

Hell no, I'm not moving to Yellowknife. :rollin

Nah, I've only been in Toronto in Canada and didn't like it, so as far as the rest, it doesn't matter to me. I want to move somewhere with a large city and that's not complete middle of nowhere (sorry, Sask is out :b ).

I also got some financial reasons to move to Alberta as opposed to BC, the residence issue is just a perk to me.

Guest Jochi1543

Behold, an actual reply from admissions for any others who may be interested:

As long as you move here before August 1st and continue to live in

Alberta for 12 consecutive months, then you can apply. Our process

works that the deadline is November 1st, Feb/March are interviews and

our class is picked by May, but we don't actually start school until August.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived