Premed 101 Forums

Insight on average ECs/chances

Itsalwayssunny I just looked at the reference stats for 2010/2011 Non-AB applicants and there are some people who were offered interviews below 3.6 (I'm not saying it's the norm though). Maybe what happens is you just end up having a low GPA score for their 100 std deviation system rather than being outright rejected? Also, you said your VR score is strong so maybe the two will balance? I'm not always sure with these applications but it looks like maybe if you meet the minimum points overall for an interview invitation you might get the interview and thereby significantly improve your chances of getting in?

I know that's a lot of question marks there. I still think you should try as what's the worst that could happen? You end up slightly poorer? I mean come on we're employed with master's degrees! I think we can afford the app fee ;). Wish you the best of luck :).

They explain how it is all done here, from what I see, for OOPs, they take 2xGPA + VR and rank, the top 200ish get a full file review, where they look at EC's, etc. Once they are done full file review, they re-rank and invite for interview. Then they add the interview score in and rank again, offering seats to the highest scores.

http://wcmprod2.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/Applicant%20Manual%202012-13%20August%201%20Update_0.pdf

OP- I haven't read the whole thread, but I just want to chime in and say that the territories are considered IP. There are lots of jobs here, and tons of stuff to do (arts, sports, culture). If you are older and considering moving for an IP advantage, this place can give you great opportunities.

Anyone can PM me for more info.

OK, GTG mountain biking! ;)

Archived