Premed 101 Forums

Curious about how OMSAS works

Guest Transparent

The first question is relatively easy to answer. With roughly 5,000-6,000 individual applicants per year, manually entering the grades of 6,000 individuals would be incredibly labour-intensive, so they are having *you* do the data entry for them. I assume this would then be checked against your official transcript if you make it further in the process, at which point they would likely throw you out of the applicant pool if you lied.

Second question, I don't know. I don't think it does, but it may as far as I know.

Deceit, to lie on a med school application is the equivalent of professional suicide. If you are caught even in yourlast year of med school of a material misrepresentation, not only will you not graduate from medical school, all med schools will be advised with the result that you would expect should you apply elsewhere.

OMSAS uses your transcript to confirm the grades you entered are correct and if there is an error will inform you about it to clarify. Now the system could in theory have been designed so they enter the data but then you would would be charged a correspondingly higher price I suppose and there would be a significantly higher threat that the application cycle would need to be extended (entering all of that would be A LOT of work).

It also stores all of your GPA information is a computerized format that can be used easily with in school specfic formulas to compute the corresponding school specific GPA. They won't be any mistakes at the school level as their formula is a) well tested by this point and B) systematically applied to all the GPA data from all students. Actually one the major points of the entire system is to streamline that sort of calculating so there cannot be silly mistakes :)

Archived