Premed 101 Forums

Lab separate from Lecture

So at my university full load is 15 credits per semester (30 per year)--same as UBC

So for a typical general chemistry/biology/organic chemistry course, there is 2 semesters of lecture and 1 semester of lab -> they are all valued at 3 credits

So...

1) General Biology 1 lecture (3 credits)

2) General Biology 2 lecture (3 credits)

3) General Biology (3 credits)

Do I only consider the lecture courses part of the prereq's or do I include the lab as well??

What's confusing me is that

1) for chem at UBC, lab is included with lecture in a course that is 3 credits

2) If I include all three, then even though my university and UBC seem to have same definition as credit hours, I would be listing 9 credits to fulfill an ostensibly 6 credit prerequisite?

Any thoughts?

So at my university full load is 15 credits per semester (30 per year)--same as UBC

So for a typical general chemistry/biology/organic chemistry course, there is 2 semesters of lecture and 1 semester of lab -> they are all valued at 3 credits

So...

Do I only consider the lecture courses part of the prereq's or do I include the lab as well??

2) If I include all three, then even though my university and UBC seem to have same definition as credit hours, I would be listing 9 credits to fulfill an ostensibly 6 credit prerequisite?

Any thoughts?

Which school are you trying to meet the prereqs for?

This situation sounds similar to Waterloo where I had separate lab and lecture courses in many but not all things. Those extra credits were actually quite useful in the application process.

So...

Any thoughts?

check with UBC directly

• 1 year later...
Which school are you trying to meet the prereqs for?

This situation sounds similar to Waterloo where I had separate lab and lecture courses in many but not all things. Those extra credits were actually quite useful in the application process.

Hi rmorelan,

I also went to Waterloo and am a little confused about this separate lab/lecture situation, especially in regards to the the UofT weighting formula. I was hoping you might be able to help me out :)

In one term I took 4 lecture courses (0.5 credits x 4) and 2 lab courses (0.25 credits x 2). In total, this was 2.5 credits which I think (and hope) still counts as a full course load and will allow me to qualify for UofT's weighting formula? In that year, I had 5.25 credits total between 2 terms.

Thanks a lot!!

Edit: Sorry, just found your would-be answer to this question in another thread: http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82222&highlight=Waterloo+Lab

thanks anyway!

Archived