Premed 101 Forums

Biotechnology 5 year double degree - Solid premed option?

-D-

Hi all,

I've been a light reader of this forum for some time now and now I've gathered the courage to make a post :o

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Biotechnology program offered at Ottawa U? The long name is "Honours BSc with Specialization in Biochemistry (biotechnology) / BASc in Chemical Engineering (biotechnology) with Biomedical Engineering Option". It is a double degree program that takes 5 years to complete, or 6 years with co-op and as I mentioned you end up with two degrees.

http://www.uottawa.ca/academic/info/regist/calendars/programs/1095.html

Is anyone in this program or has anyone gone through it? Have you considered it over Biomed, Biopharm, Health Sciences at Ottawa and did you choose it or decide not to take it?

It looks like a good premed program IMO with a pretty solid back-up plan compared to, say, Biomed or Health Sciences. Thoughts?

I'm a B.Sc. Biochem and all (but one) of the people I have met eventually ended up leaving the biotech program to choose either the biochem or chem eng programs. They say that the double degree doesn't give you much advantage (in terms of post grad opportunities) and that it's way too much work (you take more than 5 classes in some semesters - and keep in mind that this makes it just that much harder to get the grades for med). Grades are a major player in med selection and program isn't. So if I was to do it again I'd do the biomed program. It doesn't offer as interested post-grad opportunities (IMO only - and really a degree is always what you make of it) but it has "easier" (i.e. more psych and health sci; just my opinion, biomed students don't get mad at me!) courses and therefore the students in that program end up with better averages than the tougher programs like biotech. Just food for thought. PM me if you have more specific questions.

Also: you have to ask yourself some serious questions regarding what you would do if med didn't work out (blasphemy, I know). Do you want to work in health care or science? Or more of a macro-science environment? If health care is your answer look into health sci. Science opens pretty much only lab work doors - or grad school (btw, you can get a masters in the time that you would do that biotech program with coop!). If you want to do macro-sciency things with some engineering and you're a SUPER EXTRA UBER DUPER dedicated person then look into biotech (no joke. the smartest people I know have quit this program).

Thanks qwerty you have provided a really good angle on the Biotech program for me.

As for plan B (blasphermy I agree) I am not sure if I would want to work in healthcare, if not as a physician... and therefore the lab science might actually appeal to me (genetics, med-chem). However, Biotech does sound to be a bit of overkill.

Be interesting to know how that 'one' person you know that stuck with Biotech faired out. Does he/she plan on going to med school?

Hi there,

I am actually in the Chem. Eng. program at OttawaU. There are about 6 people that I know of that are actually in the Biotech program. We share all of the same chemical engineering courses. Let me tell you, these guys are always working and never have time to do anything outside of school. My friend is taking six heavy courses this semester, and took 7 heavy courses last semester. On top of that it is a five year program, with a full course load in the summer on top of that. It is known as the duel degree of death for a reason. As for research and lab opportunities, there really isn't that much of an advantage. Especially if you are from the Ottawa area, there really isn't any private industry for the biotech program besides the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute and some university labs. I have had no problem getting years of lab experience with my lowly chem. eng. program. As for graduate programs, most biotech masters programs say on they info pages that only a chemical engineering degree or equivalent, they do not require a biotech batchelors. You may have to check with the school though. If you are interested in medicine, maybe try the biomed option in chemical engineering (if you are into engineering), or biochem, biomed ect....

I know that some of the guys in biotech want to go to medicine, but the problem is that they have absolutely no e.c.'s because their course loads are so heavy. It is a real shame because they are brilliant and could excel in medicine (IMO), but they have no time.

Thanks abstract, another great piece of insight into the program. Goes to show why people should really do their homework (no pun intended) before choosing an undergrad.

I know that some of the guys in biotech want to go to medicine' date=' but the problem is that they have absolutely no e.c.'s because their course loads are so heavy. It is a real shame because they are brilliant and could excel in medicine (IMO), but they have no time.[/quote']

That is a really good point, I had been wondering about the huge course load.

I think I have been persuaded not to go for Biotech as a premed option. Sigh, the choosing game restarts.

Abstract if I may ask, have you enjoyed the Chem. Eng. program so far and does it meet the prereqs for Ottawa's med school? Did you have to take a minor in Life Sci or something along those lines?

personally, I really enjoy my program. There are some tough courses but it is worth it for me. Unfortunately, you will have to take extra courses outside the chem. eng. program to satisfy uottawa meds. requirements. off the top of my head, it is BIO1130 BIO1140, and intro to biochem + 1 other bio/ life science course. other than that you are set.

Here are the course requirements from the uottawa website:

http://www.med.uottawa.ca/Etudiants/MD/Admissions/eng/description_prerequisite_science_courses.html

Regards,

ABS

I am currently in biotech at uOttawa, and while the workload is definitely substantial, it is manageable. I am able to keep a respectable GPA for med and maintain ECs on the side. Although ECs may not be stellar, around 10hrs of volunteering per week and a couple clubs can be balanced with the 6 courses per term course load. Also, if you follow the suggested course sequence, first year is a regular 10 course year (allows you to adjust to the university life) followed by 6 courses per semester in following years, and only ONE full time summer (5 courses in 4th year summer).

I originally picked biotech specifically because it provided an awesome backup plan to med, and allows for pre-reqs to go towards your degree, instead of taking it as extra courses. While some might think it is a bit of overkill, I believe that it is a great foundation that opens a wide range of doors. A prof once told me that interdisciplinary studies are the new way to go.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Thanks qwerty you have provided a really good angle on the Biotech program for me.

As for plan B (blasphermy I agree) I am not sure if I would want to work in healthcare, if not as a physician... and therefore the lab science might actually appeal to me (genetics, med-chem). However, Biotech does sound to be a bit of overkill.

Be interesting to know how that 'one' person you know that stuck with Biotech faired out. Does he/she plan on going to med school?

Doesn't sound like you need a reply, but just b.c you asked: the only biotech person I know who stuck with the program was never planning on going into medicine. Of the people I know who got into med, most of them were biomed (especially at uO where grades count a lot b.c no mcat) and a few were biochem - but that's heavily biased b.c I knew them from class in the first place.

I just want to note that a degree isn't what you come out with on paper/the courses you take that will get you a job - it's much more the experience and contacts. I think a lot of recent grads are having a hard time with that b.c we didn't connect with enough people who could help us transition. It's fine to take all these hard courses, but personally I find that my roman civilization and witchcraft courses have been more useful (b.c they make for good conversation) than most of my science courses/labs (most of what I know/use I learned while working in a "real" lab (not a teaching lab)). If you want a solid backup, take co-op (might affect the wCGPA, not sure)- not an intense degree.

personally' date=' I really enjoy my program. There are some tough courses but it is worth it for me. Unfortunately, you will have to take extra courses outside the chem. eng. program to satisfy uottawa meds. requirements. off the top of my head, it is BIO1130 BIO1140, and intro to biochem + 1 other bio/ life science course. other than that you are set.

Here are the course requirements from the uottawa website:

[/quote']

Chem Eng does sound like an interesting program so it's good to hear that an actual uOttawa student is enjoying it. And thanks for the link. PS your blog is actually pretty funny. :D

I originally picked biotech specifically because it provided an awesome backup plan to med, and allows for pre-reqs to go towards your degree, instead of taking it as extra courses. While some might think it is a bit of overkill, I believe that it is a great foundation that opens a wide range of doors. A prof once told me that interdisciplinary studies are the new way to go.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Thanks for sharing your experience in biotech. You sound very dedicated and it does sound like you are able to maintain a balance in the program. I don't think I could pull that off, but I haven't totally crossed biotech off my list just yet.

Doesn't sound like you need a reply, but just b.c you asked: the only biotech person I know who stuck with the program was never planning on going into medicine. Of the people I know who got into med, most of them were biomed (especially at uO where grades count a lot b.c no mcat) and a few were biochem - but that's heavily biased b.c I knew them from class in the first place.

Thanks for this info biomed does seem like the sexiest premed program at uOttawa. And I definitely appreciate the reply!

I just want to note that a degree isn't what you come out with on paper/the courses you take that will get you a job - it's much more the experience and contacts. I think a lot of recent grads are having a hard time with that b.c we didn't connect with enough people who could help us transition. It's fine to take all these hard courses, but personally I find that my roman civilization and witchcraft courses have been more useful (b.c they make for good conversation) than most of my science courses/labs (most of what I know/use I learned while working in a "real" lab (not a teaching lab)). If you want a solid backup, take co-op (might affect the wCGPA, not sure)- not an intense degree.

You are absolutely right about that. I have been thinking about co-op, I know that for medicine at uOttawa atleast, they consider co-op students as trimesters (fall-winter-summer). For an academic year to count towards your application, you need minimum 2/3 of the semesters in a trimester to be study. The problem with the co-op stream in Biomed is that in year 3, you do two work terms(winter+summer), and therefore that year doesn't count when you apply.

http://www.coop.uottawa.ca/en/en-employer/en-emp-program-spec.asp?ID=145

But I do think that the general consensus is that for a premed choice, Biotech is one of the tougher programs especially due to the very heavy course load and therefore, for me in particular, it may be a GPA deflator. Still thinking about it...

There's also Integrated Sciences - Life and Health Sciences at Carleton too that looks interesting (flame war:eek:)

I'm still in decision mode, which will soon become make a f*** choice mode come October-November when it's time to actually apply. I really appreciate the helpfulness of the users on this forum especially the three that have given me really informative replies.

Cheers

Archived