Premed 101 Forums

U of A Health Centre

Guest megs29

Guest megs29

Can anyone tell me what the wait is usually like at the Health Centre? I understand that it operates on a walk-in basis. At my undergrad university's walk-in clinic (U of Ottawa), the wait was often a couple hours. I'm just wondering if that's what it is usually like at U of A. Thanks!

Megs

Is pretty dead there if you go in the morning as soon as it opens (I think it opens @ 8 am... but don't quote me on it). You should be able to see a doc in 5-10 minutes.

yeah, it really varies by time of day... the nice thing last year was that we had no trouble getting our physicals/immunizations done at the start of the year, as med students start one week earlier than the rest of campus... so I strongly advise all incoming students to try to get this stuff done ASAP when you arrive in Edmonton and take advantage of shorter waits

Guest Qwigley

When you walk in the clinic there will be a sign that says something about them not giving immunizations after 3pm (I can't remember that time for sure). Some of the nurses are kind of sticky about stuff like that so maybe go early just in case.

Generally, during the school year, there isn't a very long wait; I've never waited more than maybe 45 mins. As Apna said, until the undergrad students start, you should be able to get in very quickly. The same is true of your student loan forms; the lines to get them signed get longer if you wait 'til all the undergrads are back, so do it during the first week.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CD4CD25

Just so you guys know, it costs $40 to get your physical at the U of A Health Centre (you can pay by interac). Also, you need to plan to get a Mantoux TB test, so you will have to be able to come back 48-72 hr later to get it read. Be sure to have all of your immunization stuff (including HepB Surface Ag if you have ever had that measured), or else you will have to get boosted for things :) Oh yeah, I am not sure if someone mentioned it above, but you need to arrive there by 2 pm in the summer for a physical. They open at 8 am.

Cd4Cd25

Guest Tantalus

Just to re-emphasize what CD4CD25 said: make sure you plan your TB testing. Don't go on a Thursday because they will be unable to do the TB test and you will have to go back again. I learned this the hard way today.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest klukyboy

man, I lost my list of stuff to do as a new med student last year and I STILL haven't gone to get my physical... Then again, I still have Sally's pic on my ID badge. Ok, This year I promise to be less lazy and get this stuff done! :rollin

Guest megs29

Just a note for those who haven't gone to get their medical done yet....

If you don't have your One card yet, make sure you bring a letter that has your Student No. on it. If you don't, you can't get your medical done until you go down to the Admin building and get one printed out. And they only open at 8:30am. So if you go to the Health Centre at 8:00am (like I did), you'll have to wait until 8:30am to get your paper at Admin.

Megs

Guest MedAnxiety

yup..i went through the same thing...except i couldn't find the admin building =( so i went to CAB and just got my timetable from beartracks printed out.

Archived