Premed 101 Forums

Pre MCAT classes

NeuroPreMed

Those courses are good prep and should cover most of the material that you will need to know for the mcat, but chem 263 is also a good course to take IMO because it's the second half of organic chemistry that could be tested on the mcat.

BIOL 207 and even biol 108 isn't really necessary, as physiology courses (physl 210) would be better than those two, in terms of mcat prep.

Those courses are good prep and should cover most of the material that you will need to know for the mcat, but chem 263 is also a good course to take IMO because it's the second half of organic chemistry that could be tested on the mcat.

BIOL 207 and even biol 108 isn't really necessary, as physiology courses (physl 210) would be better than those two, in terms of mcat prep.

So you'd recommend

biol 107

chem 101

o chem 261

phys 124

anything else is just over kill?

So you'd recommend

biol 107

chem 101

o chem 261

phys 124

anything else is just over kill?

Physics 126, Chemistry 102, Chemistry 263 and Physiology 210.

I can't stress Physiology enough. Half of your BS will be covered with this one (full-year) course. It is, however, possible to learn the material on your own. I just love Physiology so... I don't mind taking it.

Also, for those that are confused:

BIOL 107: Cell Biology

BIOL 108: Plants/Ecology

BIOL 207: Genetics

Physics 126, Chemistry 102, Chemistry 263 and Physiology 210.

I can't stress Physiology enough. Half of your BS will be covered with this one (full-year) course. It is, however, possible to learn the material on your own. I just love Physiology so... I don't mind taking it.

Also, for those that are confused:

BIOL 107: Cell Biology

BIOL 108: Plants/Ecology

BIOL 207: Genetics

Ok, this is helpful.

Genetics won't be very beneficial for you in terms of MCAT prep. Your degree probably requires it though, so you should definitely take it. The actual genetics on the MCAT is much more basic. Even the more 'advanced' MCAT genetics would be easy to learn without taking a course in your undergrad.

Even though this was already mentioned, I'm going to repeat it for emphasis. Physiology is probably the most important thing you can take to prepare for the biology portion of the MCAT. One year of physiology, or even one semester, will prepare you for a large chunk of the material.

So if I don't take a full year physiology what would be a good prep book that goes into depth for that topic?

The best book for in-depth bio review would have to be TPRH, which you should have regardless for their bio passages.

Berkley review I also found great for physiology which was used mostly for it's content. The book has just enough depth if you have taken physiology before. I found in the molecular section, BR was terrible, so keep in mind the second book isn't that helpful when reviewing for your MCAT.

EK goes over the basics, and if you are already strong in some of the bio, it might be just what you need to review. Also, while in-depth review is fine, the main focus is doing practice questions. It wasn't until I started doing massive amounts of questions did I see the biggest score increases, going from 8's in BS to 11/12's...

I took all of the relevant courses in my first 2 years of undergrad (not intentionally, they are required for my degree), and I supplemented that knowledge with my TPR books/course. I had no problems with the science material, so I can't really fault TPR in any way in this regard.

Archived