Premed 101 Forums

"UofA medical students have something to say..."

Guest sleepyGemini

Guest sleepyGemini

I was really disturbed and appalled to hear about the recent actions of a few U of A med students. What is being done about this? Is this a common sentiment at this school?

"July 8, 2005 -- The Edmonton Journal published a fair piece by Jodie Sinnema on May 19 about the recent controversy surrounding the lyrics of a "Nurses' Song" performed by University of Alberta medical students at their annual "Medshow." It seems that nursing professors, the university provost, and even the medical school dean found something objectionable about the song's assertions that nurses were "whores" and "@#%$" whose "incompetence" threatened to "make our patients die." But at least the medical students felt nurses were qualified to "fill up my coffeepot" and "give good head," and the refrain urged nurses to "show me those boobs." The song seems to reflect virulent misogyny, ignorance of nursing, and professional insecurity, a perfect storm of dysfunction that persists in many clinical settings, harming patients and contributing to nursing burnout and the global nursing shortage. To the extent the song and the medical students' apparent non-apology are indicators of their career trajectory, it's bad news for patients and colleagues. But the students' conduct does suggest that the business outlook may be good for local malpractice and personal injury lawyers--and possibly even those who work in the criminal justice system!

But enough of this. Let's get to the University of Alberta medical students' song lyrics, which the Center has obtained. They are reproduced below in full:

Nurses' Song

Nurses we are overjoyed

To meet you face to face

You've been getting quite a name

All around the place

Being @#%$

Screwing up meds

Now we understand you're whores

But at least you give good head

So you are a nurse

You're a wonderful nurse

Prove to me that you're the best

Let me look upon your breasts

If that you will do

Then my hats off to you

Come on show me those boobs

Nurses you just won't believe

The @#%$ you've stirred up here

Your incompetence is all

So very @#%$ clear

Oh telling Doctors

What they ought to try

When in fact your management

Would make our patients die

So you are a nurse

You're a competent nurse

Show me all that you were taught

Go fill up my coffeepot

And then go berserk

When I ask you to work

Nurses like to @#%$ and moan

They often go on strike

They somehow think their job is more

Than just the village bike

Oh... if you really

Want to get respect

Come right here

And tell me why

The vitals aren't done yet

So you are a nurse

Yes a superstar nurse

Prove that you're as good as me

Do this Neurosurgery

Or maybe instead

You should just change the bed

DISCLAIMER: We couldn't have

done it without you nurses."

From The Center for Nursing Advocacy website

www.nursingadvocacy.org/n...ton_j.html

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Isoceles

omg...did someone actually write that and then SHARE it!?!?!?! Whether it was intended as a joke or not.. that is really offensive (and I have a pretty open sense of humor) and just truly horrid... I'm sure/ I hope it represents a very small small (double meaning intended..lol) group of individuals...:\

Guest scrubbed

I read a little blurb about this in the news a little while ago; I had no idea that the lyrics were that offensive.

What a disgusting display!

Thanks for the post SG.

Guest Braveheart

Jeez...

I too have a pretty open-minded sense of humor and outgoing attitude but those lyrics are very unappropriate. Though med students are just ordinary people, it's hard to believe that those were written by someone who will become a physician in the future.

Guest apical meristems

Hmmmm...

This is really disheartening. That song is not only reflecting poorly on the student body, but on the Faculty and University as well. Just google MedShow and you'll get a dozen sites that denounce the U of A.

:\

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

OK OK,

As a UofA med student, I must explain to you that these lyrics are part of a song, which by tradition is sang by the graduating class at medshow...every year there is a new song, and many of the plays/skits make fun at various different groups/professions/races/professors/deans, etc etc....no one is left unscathed....this is med show.

Med students make fun of themselves, and situations they encounter over there four years of education at UofA...and medshow is the one chance for everyone to let loose and have some fun...many of the tickets sold every year go to faculty and students....especially students in related faculties like pharm and nursing....and most see the humor as what it is , and do not take offense....

Guest Fizz29

While I'm not a med student, I have been to med show at U of A to support friends who were in it and was thoroughly unimpressed with the nature of the skits, songs and behavior of the medical students. One of my friends assured me that it was all black humor and nothing to get excited about as U of A medical students have been saying for months since this controversy surfaced.

I am exceptionally pleased that the U of A med show has found itself in the media glare since I think its time for the students and faculty to be accountable for the types of scenarios presented during the show. "Black humor" does not need to be extraordinarily offensive, racist, homophobic, or sexist which med show is. The irony is that with all the attention the song about nurses has drawn, it doesn't even come close to some of the skits I watched in terms of offensiveness.

FYI. It is not a "small" group of medical students who participate in med show. All medical students are encouraged to participate, sell tickets, build sets, etc. In fact, I know of at least one student who refused to participate and faced immense peer pressure to, at the very minimum, sell tickets.

I would like to object to all of the above posts. No one has put any of this into context. It is MEDSHOW!! It is meant to be outrageous and offensive. No one ever claimed it to be anything else. There are more than enough disclaimers and warnings on the tickets and on signs at the show. I have attended Medshow the last 2 years, and have found it frickin' hilarious. The show does not pick solely on nurses, but on various races and religions as well. They exagerate stereotypes and offend all groups equally, not discriminating in their discrimination. But on the whole, everyone has a good time. As a UofA 2009, I am am very disappointed that Medshow will have to be toned down. I can assure you that no one in the faculty actually subscribes to any of these viewpoints. But the bottom line is, you have been more than adequately warned, so if you are offended, it is your own fault, and if you will be offended, then don't go, as simple as that.

Guest Saberial

Having attended the medshow, I agree with 0nsp and Cowgirl Jenn. The show is frickin' hilarious, and they pick on everyone equally. Even the faculty members aren't spared!

Guest medsmurf

As an attendee at the last three medshow's I have to agree with 0nsp, Cowgirl Jenn and Saberial. Medshow has been this way for years and years...it's a tradition. If you are offended by this type of humour there is a simple solution...don't go.

And again, this is not the result of a small group of med students. Almost all of the med student's from all four years participate in medshow in some way (including some faculty). For those of you who are attending U of A med this year and are disgusted and offended by this then be prepared to be part of a very small minority of med students who feel as you do.

Guest Dr BDC

I agree that yes being a med student can be stressful but how does going around making fun of other people with sexist and racial remarks ease one's stresses? To be honest, I think it's a little bit immature. I've been to other school med shows and they are funny without being offensive. You don't have to insult other people to be funny. If one is clever enough one can come up with good material without needing it to be controversial to get a good laugh. Like I heard about previous med shows where UofA made light of 9/11 and the tsunami that happened last year. Come on! Thousands of people died in those events. How can poking fun of those events be funny? Yes, being a doctor doesn't require you to be serious all the time. But to poke fun at the deaths of other people, that's just not funny. It's like having the loved one of a friend die and making light of it to them about it. You don't do that there so why do that at the med show?

All I'm saying is you don't need to be controversial to get a good laugh from the audience.

It's kinda like Family Guy, in a "it's so funny because I can't belive they even went there" kinda way.

BTW, Family Guy is the *BEST* show on TV.

But in a way, Dr. BDC is right. The best act this year, was by far the finale where they weren''t making fun of anyone (well, the Jewish Students Assoc. was upset because someone dressed up like Hitler). But it was the best act because the guys were so talented. For those of you that didn't see it, it had two guys in a fiddle-off, trying to outdo each other. and they ended up fiddling each other's fiddles, playing behind their back, etc. to tunes like Thunderstruck, and Paint it Black. While Medshow is a raunchy romp, there may be room for some actual talented acts like this one.

Guest scrubbed

I thought that I'd post this letter for an alternative perspective. It's quite troubling that this person was actually threatened for their views.

AS Dr BDC said, you can funny without being grossly offensive. To be honest, when I saw the U of A students video at interviews, I was offended, and thought it was immature, when one of the student talked about wanting to be a plastic surgeon to perform breast implants. It appears among some students, then, that the infatuation with breasts is a recurring theme.

Although this humor is commonly presented in popular culture, I'd like to think that doctors should attempt to attain a higher standard, having the privilege of caring people at their most vulnerable.

Dear Ms. Summers,

I just read your response to a medical student at the University of Alberta in regards to the most recent medshow. I just wanted you to know I thought your letter was extremely well written (especially your response to his letter) and I agree wholeheartedly with you that the nurse's song was absolutely inappropriate. As a female med student at the same university, I am embarrassed that we even hold such an event. In my view the whole show is disgusting and completely unprofessional. I am not the only medical student who feels the same. Unfortunately, we are a silent minority. I spoke out once in the negative about the show and received some very nasty emails (including some that were threatening). The best arguments anyone could give me for keeping the show was that (1) it kept some med students from committing suicide and (2) that it was tradition. My response: (1) for those who are thinking of committing suicide - "if belittling and disrespecting others helps you feel better, you've got bigger problems than you think" and (2) for those who say we should keep it for traditions sake - "slavery used to be tradition too, but does that mean we should keep doing it?"

I just wanted to say thank you for stating your argument so well because you expressed what I and many others have also felt.

Guest Dr BDC

I'm glad that you guys agree with my point of view. I went to the UofC med show this year and that was quite amazingly done without any "black humor" in it. What they did alot of was make spoofs of well known things like the Muppet Show and Dr Phil (the impersonator of Dr Phil was hilariously close). I'm not sure if any of you were there as well but they did this amazing job of playing like 3 different songs by blowing into ~20 differently filled beer bottles (I think that was the part of that show that everyone remembered the most).

scrubbed,

i'm a third year medical student at the U of A, and i'm a bit confused about why you were offended by the interview video? it was sarcastic and a joke... the student who made the comment about breast surgery didn't mean it... did you miss that completely? it was a poke at the stereotypes displayed on TV by shows like Nip/Tuck. What exactly was offensive about that?

i am really getting tired of people's supersensitivity and negative talk about the U of A. the students who are disgusted by med show have been invited MANY times to write a skit that isn't offensive and is still funny... so far, no one has taken the time to write anything. they sure don't have trouble finding the time to talk badly about their school and classmates though!

scrubbed, will you be attending the U of A this fall?

EB

Guest scrubbed

Hey EB,

To elaborate, I wasn't so much offended, but that I thought that the joke was in poor taste. I understood the sarcastic nature of the comment and didn't believe that the student actually meant what he said. However, I do believe that a line can be crossed where a joke turns from humorous to offensive or in poor taste.

With regards to nurses, I have a close friend and a family member who are nurses, and have heard stories about the type of abuse they have suffered. In addition, abuse against nurses is still a common occurrence by physicians and patients alike. There was a good study done in 2003 by nurses from Alberta and British Columbia, which reported on this trend. Workplace violence in Alberta and British Columbia hospitals.

Health Policy, Volume 63, Issue 3, Page 311

K. Hesketh.

The abstract:

Workplace violence is a significant and widespread public health concern among health care workers, including nurses. With growing awareness of how practice environments influence patient outcomes and the retention of health professionals, it is timely to consider the impact of workplace violence in hospitals. Registered nurses in Alberta and British Columbia, Canada were surveyed on their experiences of violence in the workplace over the last five shifts. Our results suggest that nurses are experiencing many incidences of violence in a given work week, particularly in the emergency, psychiatric, and medical–surgical settings. Most violent acts are perpetrated by patients, but there is also a significant portion of violence and abuse committed by hospital co-workers, particularly emotional abuse and sexual harassment. Our results also indicate that the majority of workplace violence is not reported. We suggest that using the Broken Windows theory might be a useful tool to conceptualize why workplace violence occurs, and that this framework be used to begin to develop new violence prevention policies and strategies.

Though I realize the parody was the intention, I'm inclined to agree with the analysis on the nursing advocacy site.

But because the context was ambiguous and the lyrics are a mix of toxic views that many physicians and members of the public actually do hold, the Center finds it more plausible that the song was intended as a comic "roast," as other medical students have argued. Even if intended as a parody, the song's reckless presentation of views that are driving the global nursing shortage in a "comic" context suggests a dangerous lack of understanding of nursing.

I will not be attending the U of A in the fall: I was declined as an OOP applicant. You may have asked this question to encourage my involvement with next year's show. Having been involved with large productions in the past, I realize how much effort goes into such an event. If the situation regarding the involvement of other students is as you describe, I appreciate your concern with those who are quick to tear down the building, yet will not pick up the tools in order to construct something afterward. I hope that these people come out next year to help out with the show.

At the end of the day, I recognize that this is just a difference of opinion of what’s funny and what’s in bad taste or offensive. I have nothing against the U of A. I think that they have a strong program, and would have appreciated the opportunity to attend. I agree with the Deans of Nursing and Medicine when they say:

As Dean of Medicine and Dentistry and Acting Dean of Nursing, we are satisfied that the students involved do not hold the views they were mocking, and that they understand and regret the hurt members of the nursing profession experienced as a result of a very failed attempt at humour.

However, I also believe in virtue ethics and that moral decisions do not occur in a vacuum. Much like someone who improves their physique as a result of training, someone may also improve their moral compass by practicing what is good.

CS Lewis expresses this sentiment well:

There is a difference between doing some particular just or temperate action and being a just or temperate man. Someone who is not a good tennis player may now and then make a good shot. What you mean by a good player is a man whose eye and muscles and nerves have been so trained by making innumerable good shots that they can now be relied on. They have a certain tone or quality which is there even when he is not playing, just as a mathematician's mind has a certain habit and outlook which is there even when he is not doing mathematics. In the same way a man who perseveres in doing just actions gets in the end a certain quality of character. Now it is that quality rather than the particular actions which we mean when we talk of a Virtue'.

Thus, even though the students may not have “meant” what they said, this still may effect how they treat nurses in the future, especially when their defenses against such improper actions are weakened by fatigue or stress.

My two cents. Thanks.

On paper, those lyrics do indeed appear harsh. But having participated in and watched Medshow, all I can really say is that you have to be there to understand. It honestly IS just a little bit of good-natured jesting. Someone already mentioned Family Guy, I'll mention another show... Chappelle's Show... these are extremely popular shows that succeed by crossing the line. The jokes by no means indicate that they actually endorse the viewpoints... they're just trying to make people laugh.

But like anything, that kind of humour isn't for everyone. You can't get 100% approval of anything... that doesn't mean it can't be done for those who enjoy it. Audience members were repeatedly warned what to expect at Medshow, and really, most of them ate it up. To label this as immature or inappropriate behaviour for future doctors is a double standard... med students are people too... it's not like we sign our soul away upon admission... there's no reason why we can't have some bawdy fun for a few nights a year if people in the entertainment business can. Some of the wildest Medshow performers from the past year matched to some of the most competitive residency positions in the country... obviously they possess many of the qualities that actually MATTER such as professionalism and work ethic. That they also possess a naughty sense of humour is quite irrelevant to their future careers.

I understand that some would take offense to the song and some of the other skits, but again, nothing pleases everyone. Relax, folks.

Guest Lorae

I just think it's a professionalism issue. The fact that the medshow requires signs and disclaimers because it's so offensive tells me that the students don't know the difference between satire/sarcasm and vulgarity.

It is possible to be funny without offending the public.

At med show, we are representing ourselves to the public. We represent our university, our faculty, and the profession of medicine. Of course some jokes may be "borderline" or "on the fence" - often that's what makes them funny. But there's a line. The fact that some U of A students are defending this song by saying "we make fun of all races, professions, and religions equally" seems absolutely absurd to me.

It's tasteless and immature. But most importantly it's unprofessional and has cast the University of Alberta Faculty of Medicine in a very poor light.

Guest coolguy3650

I enjoy humour like the Chapelle Show (and Family Guy etc.) but it is important to note that that show is the CHAPELLE show while the one being currently discussed is the MED show. It's one thing for a professional comedian to act vulgar and politically incorrect, but when a group of medical students act in such a manner en masse, then I think that's an entirely different issue. I want to see the show continue (perhaps even be a part of it myself), but I think it should not be so closely associated with medicine and medical students. As doctors, we need to be sensitive to the preceptions of the community (it's unfortunate but true) so that patients can feel they can trust us . A little black humour is okay, but this event is clearly very agressive. We need to be very careful of the image we project.

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

I think you need to re-read what you just wrote and consider this: while the "Chapelle" show is know for its "vulgar" humor, and is therefore "OK" for a comedian, the "medshow" is "medshow" and is also known for this type of humor.

While you are familiar with Chapelle, and know what type of humor to expect, participants and attendees to medshow are also familiar with the types of humor used in our skits...our skits do not offend the general public, because the general public does not attend medshow....attendees are medical students, pharm students, NURSES, and plenty of faculty whom have come to enjoy the humor they expect of medshow...the general public gets rattled and offended when skits songs and acts are printed *out of context* in newspaper articles, columns, etc. People who don't like it, or don't appreciate the sense of humor, don't go - point blank. But you won't here attendees complaining, it is people like most of you whom have never seen nor participated in medshow that are disturbed by some of the plays/songs etc....again because you are hearing about these things *out of context*...there are not many students that attend, knowing what to expect, that would complain afterwards. Before you all start arguing about morals, ethics, standards, and professionalism, why not attend first hand before you start judging?

Another thing to think about - if this is such a "horrible" event, why does it sell out year after year well before the shows opening night? Why are people begging for, even scalping, extra tickets?

With all this publicity, I say we move medshow to a bigger venue next year as we will have NO problem selling tickets...

Guest coolguy3650

My point was that Chapelle is a comedian who is known to the public primarily through his particular form of comedy. As you say, if you don't like it, you can avoid it. However, the particpants of med show are first and foremost medical students (in the eyes of the public).

As for people publishing things "out of context," that may be unfair, but it's bound to happen. It's a virtual inevitability. The end result is a negative image of medical students. Really, I don't have a problem with this type of humour, just with it's close association with medical students. Couldn't the show be taken off campus? Or perhaps the name changed slightly? I don't see why it has to be a medical student dominated show. Really, by making it a broader event, you could even make it a bigger and better event as well.

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

I agree that it is inevitable that it will be scrutinized by far, and things take out of context...however, as far as this forum is concerned, I encourgage imcoming medical students, and those interested in medicine, to check out the show first hand before criticizing it.

As for making the bigger to include non medical students, and moving it off campus...well we make have to move it off campus after all the concern this media buzz has caused. As for involving non-medical students - I'll be honest with you in saying that medical students actually audition for spots in medshow, with students competing their skits against one another for a much sought after position in medshow...we really don't need more people - also many other faculties have their own fundraising events similar to medshow each year...in fact the dental association actually got banned from holding campus events for the next year because of the huge party their show turned into. And being that first and foremost we are medical students, no one has the time/energy to orchestrate this into an even bigger event...especially seeings how it currently raises over $15000 a year for the graduating class's grad. party and people are fighting to both be a part of medshow and attend medshow...also understand that while a small majority of students choose not to participate/don't approve, the majority of students (I'll bet over 90%) DO approve/participate.

As for medical students appearing "proper" in the eyes of the public - we do...again, like I said earlier, the public do not tend to attend this event...they are just feeding off secondhand information they receive via the media..something you yourself said was inevitable...do the public really have a right to scrutinize our private lives? Would it be anyones business if someone in our medical class had an affair? Or an abortion? What about if a doctor held strong religous views that clashed with duties expected of him as a physician? These personal issues have no place in the workplace - something I'm sure you all reviewed when preparing for your medical school interviews...if you have an opinion against abortion, you don't let this affect your practice, and if it does you refer the patient elsewhere...again, out public lives should have NOTHING to do with how we function as physicians...nor how we are viewed as such. When you go to class with the same group of individuals for four years, you are bound to form some close friendships...and when a big group of close friends get together to participate in a time honored tradition, outside of school time, it really isn't anyone's business what they are doing....

I'm sorry for ranting, but I'll be honest...a year ago (before I was a medical student at UofA), I would have also been surprised by these lyrics and the skits and plays taking place during medshow...but once you become a UofA student, or a medical student anywhere really - most schools have a "medshow" - you will understand. And if you don't understand/approve at that time, you won't be alone either - like I mentioned there is always a minority that prefers not to be involved. And while some of you may argue that other schools' "medshows" aren't "as bad", remember that for 30+ years this type of humor has been an unnoticed tradition at UofA...and this is the first time the general public has heard anything about it....so don't doubt that at least some other schools aren't similar.

Guest scrubbed

(This message was not directed at your last post Jenn. Thanks for your comments.)

Hi Jenn,

Thanks for providing more information about the show. I appreciate the discussion that has ensued about this topic. I do think how doctors are perceived by the general public and by other health care professionals is important, and because this issue has raised a bit of furor, it's good to talk about it.

Based on what you wrote, I do have a few concerns.

But you won't here attendees complaining, it is people like most of you whom have never seen nor participated in medshow that are disturbed by some of the plays/songs etc....again because you are hearing about these things *out of context*...there are not many students that attend, knowing what to expect, that would complain afterwards.

It does appear that some people who did attend found what went on disturbing.

To quote from www.gateway.ualberta.ca/v...p?aid=4406

The pair was instrumental in writing the opening scene that featured Hitler singing and dancing in an imitation of the “Teddy Bears Picnic.”

“We thought it would be a really funny contrast of ideas, especially with a bunch of teddy bears dancing around. It’s more bizarre than offensive,” said Halloran.

“What’s actually offensive about Hitler singing the ‘Teddy Bears Picnic’? There’s nothing offensive or anti-Semitic in it; there’s nothing pro-Hitler.”

However, Jonah Mozeson, spokesperson for Hillel, the Jewish Students’ Association, said there are some matters that should not be a source of hilarity, such as the representation of Hitler.

“The figure of Hitler personifies the hatred and the murder and the tragedy that occurred during the Holocaust. The Medshow has always been offensive, but there should be a bit more tolerance and understanding of things that are not so much offensive in the bodily function sort of way, but really offensive to people personally,” Mozeson said.

“It brings back harsh historical memories about tragic circumstances and I think that’s what’s really upsetting.”

Apparently, this opinon was shared by the Dean of Medicine, who may have seen the show, as well.

Philip Davis, a first-year medical student who acted as the organizer for this year’s event, said the dean of medicine announced in an executive meeting last week that he did not think the Medshow presented an appropriate image of the faculty. However, the dean declined to comment on the matter.

In addition, before the nurses advocacy campaign started and people may have started taking things out of context, the Dean of Nursing did lodge a complaint, presumably instigated from those who may have been present at the show.

May 19, 2005: EDMONTON - The University of Alberta's dean of nursing is calling for an official investigation after receiving complaints about raunchy, sexist lyrics that were sung at the annual medical students' MedShow this spring.

Nursing dean Genevieve Gray said a written apology from the medical students responsible for the offensive song was not acceptable. "I thought it was pretty weak," Gray said. "They made no attempt to really come and make time to see me or talk to me about this and what they really said was, 'Well, look, if you don't like it, tell your students not to actually come to the show next year.' "

She said nurses in her faculty feel slighted by their medical colleagues.

Those that I have spoken to who have attended the show as well as students who have posted on this board, also have claimed to have seen the show, claimed that they felt that some of the humor was inappropriate.

Unless my facts are incorrect, then, your above assertion does not seem to be accurate.

Futhermore, I think that you make a make a fallacious appeal to belief when you claim,

Another thing to think about - if this is such a "horrible" event, why does it sell out year after year well before the shows opening night? Why are people begging for, even scalping, extra tickets?

Claiming that because the show is successful and many people attend it justifies the actions that go on there is problematic. While the will of the majority may indicate that a certain action has merit, this may not always be so.

Using an example from wikipedia

Southern segregationists didn't see anything wrong with what they were doing. Therefore, it must not have been wrong. (or: Therefore, it wasn't wrong to them.)

Very often, it is when people dissent from the majority that moral progress is made. In medicine, women physicians who claimed that they were being treated unfairly by the predominantly male medical community, and who did not accept the fact that they weren't cut out for medicine or that medicine is a man's job, are examples of how moral progress has been made.

Finally, by claiming that

Before you all start arguing about morals, ethics, standards, and professionalism, why not attend first hand before you start judging?

you limit much potential debate.

For example, would I not be able to comment on whether the war on Iraq is just because I have not been to Iraq and seen things first hand or that I haven't spoken to the leaders responsible for the current war?

There is a better way. One can examine both sides of the debate--from those who have been observers to a situation and who have differing opinions. I believe that among those who have seen the show, there are enough dissenting opinions that their comments cannot be dismissed as the protests of those who are taking things out of context.

I think, then, that one can now examine whether the comments display a lack of ethics or professionalism or are way in which medical students can destress and blow of steam. Arguments have been presented on both sides of the issue; readers can take these along with their opinions and decide where they stand on the issue.

Before I sign off, I believe that the U of A produces good doctors. I have no doubt that, as Apna claimed earlier, that U of A students are able to match competitive residencies.

I have a bit of concern with

To label this as immature or inappropriate behaviour for future doctors is a double standard... med students are people too... it's not like we sign our soul away upon admission... there's no reason why we can't have some bawdy fun for a few nights a year if people in the entertainment business can.

This appears to be a bit of a false dilemma, implying that medical students either can sign away their soul or can have (bawdy) fun. I do not maintain that people cannot have fun. Instead, there may be better ways to have fun than other ways in order to cope with the stress of medical school.

I don’t know how a naughty sense of humor may affect their specific careers--perhaps positively, perhaps negatively. I wouldn’t go as for as to say, though, that it’s quite irrelevant.

Guest Lorae

Of course the public doesn't have the right to scruitinize our private lives!! You put it on a STAGE and charged ADMISSION - there's nothing private about that.

All I'm saying is that there is a line between funny and offensive. Obviously med shows all over Canada push this line every year. Every person has a different opinion of where their own line falls. But there is such a thing as going too far.

And remember, just because something has been done a certain way for 30 years, doesn't mean it's right.

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

OK OK, time for just a few comments.

First of all, the dean did not watch the show. In fact, he left after about ten minutes.

Secondly, neither did the dean of nursing.

And you are right, the dean (new to UofA) did not approve of medshow (hence he left the show).

As for judging something you have not seen, obviously you can talk about Iraq without being there...etc etc. All I'm saying is, a lot of what is being said is being taken out of context...for instance the "nurses song" which has already been mentioned as being sung to make fun of old views held in the medical field...had you seen the skit, you would realise this...and not sung to "bash" nurses.

As for the Jewish society being upset over Hitler's appearance in the play, I've seen kids dressed as hitler at halloween. I've also seen an episode of Southpark with a "hitler-like" figure. I'm sure for every skit that was done you could find someone that would take offense. For example, in the musical talent portion of the show, violinists competed against eachother playing ACDC songs (and the like) - songs like "Highway to Hell" which I'm sure some people would take offense to.

As for my argument about it selling out and being very popular - I don't recall saying that "BECAUSE it sells out, it should THEREFORE be allowed to show"....I also never said "BECAUSE its a tradition, it should THEREFORE be allowed to show". I was just pointing out that while some people do not enjoy it, there is obviously an overwhelming majority of people which attend that DO enjoy it.

And my point about scrutinizing our private lives was meant to demonstrate that while medshow is a very public event, I don't believe the public has the right to set standards for medical students' private lives...and by private I mean what we do on our own time, outside of class (ie medshow). If a bunch of soccer players were holding a similar event to raise money for an international competition, you can bet they wouldn't receive near as much flack as we are. Granted, we are medical students, but I do believe we are also normal human beings with a right to do with our own time what we please...medshow does not endanger anyone, and all attendees are repeatedly warned of its nature...

Similar to Southpark, or the Simpsons....offended viewers are advised not to watch....no one is forcing this on anyone...and until this year, songs and skits performed during medshow did not make their way to the public eye.

Archived