Premed 101 Forums

MPH at MUN?

Does anyone have any experience with the Public Health programs at MUN? As a backup, I plan on applying to the MPH in Nutrition/Dietetics at MUN. My current undergraduate degree is in nutrition/dietetics, and so I would be eligible for the combined internship/MPH program at MUN.

Although I'm not from the Rock, I have family living in St. John's, so would have a place to stay, and having visited Newfoundland many times, I know I like the city and the people. I'm not terribly familiar with MUN, however, and while my husband did his undergraduate studies there, that was years ago, and in chemistry.

So has anyone studied public health at MUN? Are the faculty members interested in seeing their students do well? What are class sizes like? What kind of teaching methods are used? Are there many mature students?

On a separate subject: What is the gym/recreation facilities like? Are there a lot of student clubs?

Thanks!

Does anyone have any experience with the Public Health programs at MUN? As a backup, I plan on applying to the MPH in Nutrition/Dietetics at MUN. My current undergraduate degree is in nutrition/dietetics, and so I would be eligible for the combined internship/MPH program at MUN.

Although I'm not from the Rock, I have family living in St. John's, so would have a place to stay, and having visited Newfoundland many times, I know I like the city and the people. I'm not terribly familiar with MUN, however, and while my husband did his undergraduate studies there, that was years ago, and in chemistry.

So has anyone studied public health at MUN? Are the faculty members interested in seeing their students do well? What are class sizes like? What kind of teaching methods are used? Are there many mature students?

On a separate subject: What is the gym/recreation facilities like? Are there a lot of student clubs?

Thanks!

Rec facilities are pretty good. New building about 10 years ago. Plenty of clubs.

• 4 weeks later...

Rec facilities are quite nice, they are run by an outfit called The Works, which comprises the Aquarena (olympic sized pool), field house and some facilities housed in the Phys Ed department. See theworksonline.ca for whats included. All your basics like workout studios, track and a couple pools are covered. Classes are offered but seem to be a bit more run of the mill.

• 3 months later...

I completed the MPH program at MUN and couldn't be happier with how it went. It was also a backup plan for me. The class sizes usually ranged from 10-20 students, but some were as small as 6 or 7. The majority of the profs were great. They were all very helpful and made sure everyone did well. Most of the students in my classes were around my age (mid 20s) bit there were mature students as well. All classes were in the med school and the facilities were great. I am from the rock but about 3/4 of the class were from the other Atlantic provinces, Ontario, and a couple from overseas so it was a good mix of people with very diverse backgrounds. I would recommend the program to anyone interested in health care.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You were waitlisted for Mun's MPH? I also applied to this as a backup to med. I haven't heard back yet. How and when did you receive your waitlist letter?

Since the class size is so small, how long do you think the waitlist is? I found out today I got waitlisted. Anyone else find out?

You were waitlisted for Mun's MPH? I also applied to this as a backup to med. I haven't heard back yet. How and when did you receive your waitlist letter?

You can check the status of your online application by logging in to your submitted application. Mine says it is currently being processed. Once a decision is made, it will say on there. It said decisions are made 6-8 weeks after the application due date so that seems a little early to know already. Maybe it's different for NB vs NFLD applicants?

Maybe acceptance and rejection letters were/will be sent by mail since both of those are official decisions while final decisions for waitlistees are to be determined. That would almost make sense to me... I hope we all find out soon.

I have heard from a few friends who received email notifications today that they were wait listed. Has anyone else heard anything, such as regrets? Weird they wouldn't send out emails all at one time

I found out today through email. I would assume that if the people on the wait list found out today then the admissions committee already has decided who is accepted so they should find out soon too.

Mine still says application complete... Hopefully it's nothing to worry about.

I just looked at my application status and mine still says "Application process has begun" even though they told me last week I was wait listed. Weird.

Good luck to everyone though! I'm sure the letters will be out soon!

I am in St. John's so it came quickly. the letter is dated for April 5th. it came regular snail mail, just in the mail box. i would say you will get yours tomorrow!

Letter from MUN dated April 5th and it only arrived April 9th in town?? This does not make me look forward to the long wait when IP letters come out as I'm in Ontario, so it might take forever getting to me! I wonder why MUN hasn't moved on to emails...

Mun med letters are sent express post. They shouldn't be more than a day or so behind your peers in NL.

Letter from MUN dated April 5th and it only arrived April 9th in town?? This does not make me look forward to the long wait when IP letters come out as I'm in Ontario, so it might take forever getting to me! I wonder why MUN hasn't moved on to emails...

Mun med letters are sent express post. They shouldn't be more than a day or so behind your peers in NL.

Bless MUN's heart for including express post in their budget! That's a huge relief, because if it were an extra 4 or 5 days it'd be unbearable.

yes- letters for mun med acceptances (and waitlisted and regrets...) are by registered mail/express post for all applicants. letters for the MPH program are just sent via snail mail haha :P

Archived