Premed 101 Forums

Medical Requirements

Guest MedAnxiety

Guest MedAnxiety

Hi, i was just wondering if we can take the various shots at a different place other than Alberta because it says we have to take the medical exam at the health centre in UA, i don't konw if this also applies to the shots. Since i'm in Vancouver till mid august, i kinda want to get it all over with prior to coming over. Thanks!

Guest Qwigley

I got some of my vaccinations elsewhere. The difference is that the relevant vaccinations are free at the UofA clinic, but you'll probably have to pay out of your pocket or submit insurance claims if you do it elsewhere. I think my second HepB shot cost me something like $30, but I dont' remember exactly. I got all the other ones when I was in Edmonton.

They insist that you get your physical and Mantoux test there (at the UofA clinic) though. Don't worry about the threats that they give you about having to get everything done before a certain date; lots of people didn't get it all done, but make it a priority once you get to Edmonton.

You need all that stuff done before you do anything clinical (ie electives in the summer or during 3rd and 4th year). It protects the patients, and probably most importantly... it protects you! I got stuck with quite a few needles this year, and was very very happy that I had my Hep B series done....

Other medical schools will ask for proof of vaccination (ie titres & serology) before they approve your electives so I recommend you keep copies of your bloodwork at home (makes the application process much faster).

EB

Guest MedAnxiety

Thanks guys for the help. I wonder if I have to redo my hep series since i did it in grade 6? I know someone who had to redo them...but that'd suck :P

Guest jmh2005

If they haven't been done, you should get antibody titres done to see if you are still immume to Hep B. A simple blood test will tell you if you need another series or not.

Archived