Premed 101 Forums

Internet service

Guest megs29

Guest megs29

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows about internet service available in Edmonton. What companies are available, other than Shaw or Telus, and what do they charge per month? And has anyone used any other company? How reliable are they?

I'm just trying to minimize monthly bills, and shop around. My apartment is right by the university, if location is a factor. Thanks!

Megs

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Megs,

Not sure how much you are hoping to spend, or how important internet speed is to you...?

I know shaw has a student package available to students during O-week (watch for their booth) whereby you can get highspeed internet service for $22/month and free modem...you just have to sign-up for free delivery/install. during o-week and show your one-card....

Otherwise, I know telus also has a student plan, but I don't think its as good a deal...

Hope this helps.

Guest megs29

Thanks Jenn! I've looked at Shaw and it does seem to be a better deal than Telus, but that student deal sounds even better (especially the free modem part).

I wonder if I can talk them into that before O-week though. Living without internet for a couple weeks might be unbearable... :P

Megs

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Well, good luck and let me know if they are ableto do anything for you...my student status is expired and they won't let me renew it until o-week...ugh

Guest Lactic Folly

Nucleus charges $25/mo for the first year and $35/mo after.. don't need to subscribe to Shaw cable or Telus long distance for these rates. If you're on campus, you can try one of the many computer labs (cameron basement is open 7am-2am).

Guest coolguy3650

Does Cameron actually close at 2 am? I always assumed it's just open all night, because I seriously doubt someone comes in at 2 to shut the place down.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest megs29

Hey guys,

Just an update on the internet thing. I called Shaw to ask them about the student deal and it sounds pretty good. The price is $29.95 for the first six months and then the last two months (for a total of 8 months) are free. Which works out to about $22.50/month for 8 months (as was stated earlier). They also rent you a modem for free.

I wanted my internet hooked up before school started (ie. August 19th) and the guy said that was no problem. I guess it might come back to haunt me in April when it runs out before school is over, but I'll worry about that when the time comes. So it didn't seem to be a problem to have it hooked up before O-week.

If anyone has trouble getting it before O-week, let me know and I'll give you the name of the guy that I spoke to. He was really helpful.

Getting anxious for school to start...

Megs

Archived