Premed 101 Forums

Interview Expectations

FROM mun med site

Interview

The Admissions Committee may request a candidate to attend an interview. The interview will last approximately one hour and will be conducted by a panel of two interviewers from either the Admissions or Interview Committee. Panel members are not apprised of the information in the application. The interview is designed to get to know the applicant. The topics that might be covered are such things as leisure activities, study and work habits, life experiences and interactions with friends, co-workers, teachers and family. They might also discuss decision making, what an applicant sees in their future, current events, ethics, and health politics. The scores attained in the interview will be combined with other aspects of the application and used by the Admissions Committee to select a class.

Traditional planel style interview made up of life sciences faculty, med professors and the scattered student. Be prepared for around 12 open ended questions, lasting anywhere from 45-75 minutes. Questions vary from year to year, but there are some general things you can reflect on to prepare. First of all, have a good answer to "Tell us a little about yourself" or its variant "What have you been up to lately?". This tends to be the question used to break the ice and understand your life context. Aim for 3-4 minutes, with a broad overview of your education, professional experience, community involvement with a few personal tidbits thrown in for interest.

Beyond this, you can prepare by reflecting on who you are and why you are in that room. Where did an interest in medicine come from? How did your volunteering/community involvement change who you were, what did you learn about yourself, and most importantly how did these experiences cement an interest in medicine. I think that last one is particularly important because when you consider that the average undergrad is spent in labs and the library its a bit of a leap to think that you know what lies ahead in medical school/practice unless you have searched out specific opportunities and spoken to people in the profession.

If you are an OOP applicant, make sure you know something about the rural emphasis on medicine in this province. Specifically, be aware of the rural family practice placements that exist across all four years of school. If you spend some quality time on Google, you should be able to find some more general information about the Memorial interview including a list of questions.

Some final advice; be aware that the interviewers go in blind. This means they do not see your application before interviewing you, they are only going on what they get from your initial autobiographical question. Also, do not underestimate the importance of building some personal rapport with one or both interviewers, this is the reason for my advice on throwing in a couple personal interests to your first answer. Finally, be aware that some interviewers are very personable, some are very formal and you MAY get the good cop/bad cop scenario. None of this is planned, it is a little luck of the draw on who ends up in that room with you. They dont exactly advertise it, but you can request a second interview within one business day if you feel that something disadvantaged you unfairly. I can't say I have ever heard of this strategy being used successfully, but I suppose if they pull the race card or come off as sexist SOBs it might be worth looking into.

These are obviously just my experiences (WL first try, admitted second try) but hopefully you can glean some value here. Any questions/clarifications, hit me up...

• 2 weeks later...
so what do you guys think.. do you think that if offered an interview, there is less weight placed on our gpa, Mcat, etc? that the interview is now the most important thing from here on in?

I would like to know this as well..have not heard much. I contacted someone about staying with a med student while there and was directed to contact a certain person but he never got back to me :confused: ..I think my wife may have distant family there so that or a hotel. less than 2 weeks now!..and sooner for others..

Archived