Premed 101 Forums

GPA Calculation

Guest Kicoati

Guest Kicoati

Does most dental school only look at years that I have taken 5 full credit courses? And for those schools that take the best 2 years, what if the best 2 years of my undergrad didn't contain 5 full credit courses?

How do they calculate my GPA if some years contain 4 to 4.5 credits?

Thanks for help.

It might help us to answer your question if you can tell us which school you're applying. Or, just ask the school directly--this is the best reliable route.

When I applied for schools, the part that concerned me was how they calculated my 6 full-credit courses.

Guest toothy jr

I recall if two people had the same best 2-yr avg then UWO adcom will look at other years for overall trends... and the applicant with more consistent marks has a better chance of getting in. Not sure what they would do if some of those years were less than full. Perhaps Kicoati would be lumped together with those applying after just 2 years of undergrad.

>>> UofA Application <<<

If you complete only 2 or 3 years,

1) You need to complete at least 60 credits in the last 2 or 3 years.

2) Among those credits, 30 credits (ie, 5 full course load) have to be taken within one fall/winter year. The rest can be taken in either full time or part time, I think. Full time = 3 full courses or more; part time = 2 full course or less per fall/winter year.

3) Only courses taken during full time would be included in calculating overall academic average, except for 4).

4) Pre-reqs from both full and part time studies would be used to calculate pre-req average.

5) UofA considers i) pre-req average, ii) overall academic average, iii) DAT (reading, pat, carving) to offer interview.

6) Candidates will be admitted to DDS, after all i), ii), iii) and interview scores being considered.

Kicoati, you're not applying this year, I assume. At least, I know that the deadlines for applications for UBC and UofA were already past.

>>> UBC application <<<

UBC application is the most painstaking. You have to answer several questions on the application form, whcih take hours to complete.

One of the pre-reqs for UBC is from 3rd year, so you have to be at least a 3rd year student to apply. I assume you're in your 3rd year.

UBC considers i) pre-req, ii) overall average, iii) personal statement and various little questions on the application form such as your extracurricular activities, iv) reference letters, v) DAT.

Personal statement for dental school??? Isn't that a thing for med schools? UBC probably the first in asking this from dental applicants.

Guest Kicoati

Thanks for all your help!

I am a grad student, in my second year. I do have a year in undergrad that I take full 5 credits, but it is not my best year.

The personal statement and questions were indeed a pain. But I applied to McGill anyway, so just did a modification on the autobiographical letter and used that for UBC.

Dental schools probably would not look at grad school work, right?

Archived