Premed 101 Forums

Thoughts on CASPer

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was one of the 8:30ers today =)

I thought it went decently, considering the time pressure and stress. Although, I am a decently fast typist (I log ~120-140 wpm on typeracer) and I only managed around 500 chars per question, which makes me wonder if I had less content than I should've. Or maybe it just means I was able to think my answers through and make them more concise. Who knows! Who cares. I'm gonna relax with a can of beer and my favourite brand of cheddar cheese tonight.

Congrats to everyone getting through CASPer today and best of luck to the 12:30s and 2:30/4:30s. This is just another step forward!

Ran out of time for 5-6 different questions. For me usually the first question was answered with a thoughtful essay while the other 2 were just combined sentences haha.

For the last one (about accommodating those in medical school with disability), I simply typed "Yes, there should be no argument" as I only had 20 seconds left without going into further detail. Sigh, my GPA isn't that high and my MCAT is about average, so I'll be lucky for an interview.

Ran out of time for 5-6 different questions. For me usually the first question was answered with a thoughtful essay while the other 2 were just combined sentences haha.

For the last one (about accommodating those in medical school with disability), I simply typed "Yes, there should be no argument" as I only had 20 seconds left without going into further detail. Sigh, my GPA isn't that high (3.6ish) and my MCAT is about average, so I'll be lucky for an interview.

Dang that definitely sucks...I did something similar for the first video but then realized that due to the time limit it is really imperative to be tactical about this, basically limit the first 2 answers so the 3rd question can be answered in detail. Usually it seems Q3 is the one that digs into the person's insight the most too, which is devious of CASPer.

Dang that definitely sucks...I did something similar for the first video but then realized that due to the time limit it is really imperative to be tactical about this, basically limit the first 2 answers so the 3rd question can be answered in detail. Usually it seems Q3 is the one that digs into the person's insight the most too, which is devious of CASPer.

I thought it was the opposite :confused: That the first question seemed the most central and the most difficult, and the next 2 questions were just an extension of the first in different boxes. I hope I didn't get it backwards lol

I thought it was the opposite :confused: That the first question seemed the most central and the most difficult, and the next 2 questions were just an extension of the first in different boxes. I hope I didn't get it backwards lol

Yes the first question is the most relevant to the video, but then question 2 stems out a bit more, and question 3 tends to be only vaguely related to the video and mostly toward questioning the student's own beliefs and background insights.

Of course all 3 questions are valued, but IMO question 3's might be weighed a bit more towards how the admissions peeps perceive the applicant.

Just about to starrrt. I'm less nervous now because every keeps saying it was really fun haha

It is fun until you are cut off from an answer by the timer for the first time :P

Everything is irrelevant, just manage your time extremely well.

Jerr your comments scare me :(

I thought I did really well and I kinda enjoyed it. Looking back though, for many of the questions I could have elaborated more, and there were many questions where I was cut off (3 I think). For 2 of them, I got the point and reasonings across, but for one I couldn't finish my point. There is also a question that I think I answered plain wrong (yes, I think that question had a right answer and a wrong answer).

I have so much work to do and a midterm tomorrow, but I can't stop thinking about CASPer. Part of me tells me I most likely won't make the cut. Seriously, how do people wait until February ...

Jerr your comments scare me :(

I thought I did really well and I kinda enjoyed it. Looking back though, for many of the questions I could have elaborated more, and there were many questions where I was cut off (3 I think). For 2 of them, I got the point and reasonings across, but for one I couldn't finish my point. There is also a question that I think I answered plain wrong (yes, I think that question had a right answer and a wrong answer).

I have so much work to do and a midterm tomorrow, but I can't stop thinking about CASPer. Part of me tells me I most likely won't make the cut. Seriously, how do people wait until February ...

My apologies then, I was just trying to stimulate some discussions :(

Yeah I have 2 midterms tomorrow and day after, basically had very little studying time for them due to CASPer being a constant distraction last week. I'll probably unwind for another half hour and then dig in to my review material.

I thought it went ok. Obviously I didn't sound as coherent as I would have liked given that I was just typing as fast as possible to get my thoughts down before the timer ran out.

I think there were a lot of questions with definite "right" answers, at least imo, so I found it hard to present both sides when one seemed to me to be clearly wrong. hmm.

And I don't think the 3rd question weighs more than the other 2.

Only really mucked up one question in the entire exam. Wrote a half decent response and then noticed that I only had 10 seconds left so a tried to speed type my wrap up sentence... well, that didn't work. Probably had 50 typos in that one sentence. Got cut off as I was typing a masterpiece of a word, I think it ended up looking something like this:

"comnumicutnjaem/,p,.;"

Other than that I think it went well. It was kind of fun. Brain exercise. Got 450+ characters for most of the responses, although several of them ended up being disappointingly short (200-300 characters; just a few sentences).

Had one weird blip where all of a sudden I was back at the Casper World homepage thing. I don't think I accidentally hit anything but who really knows. Took a few seconds to gather my bearings and then clicked the "take/rejoin test" button and was back to the response field with 4:40 on the timer. I thought that was weird. I think it happened after the submission of one segment and before jumping to a video-less segment. Hmmm.

Only really mucked up one question in the entire exam. Wrote a half decent response and then noticed that I only had 10 seconds left so a tried to speed type my wrap up sentence... well, that didn't work. Probably had 50 typos in that one sentence. Got cut off as I was typing a masterpiece of a word, I think it ended up looking something like this:

"comnumicutnjaem/,p,.;"

Other than that I think it went well. It was kind of fun. Brain exercise. Got 450+ characters for most of the responses, although several of them ended up being disappointingly short (200-300 characters; just a few sentences).

Had one weird blip where all of a sudden I was back at the Casper World homepage thing. I don't think I accidentally hit anything but who really knows. Took a few seconds to gather my bearings and then clicked the "take/rejoin test" button and was back to the response field with 4:40 on the timer. I thought that was weird. I think it happened after the submission of one segment and before jumping to a video-less segment. Hmmm.

Hey I got that too! And I was sure I did not hit anything; basically the video was playing and then when it finished the homepage showed up, I relogged and it went straight to the questions.

Hey I got that too! And I was sure I did not hit anything; basically the video was playing and then when it finished the homepage showed up, I relogged and it went straight to the questions.

Maybe they do it on purpose to test our stress response / decision making abilities :eek:

Wrote early this morning. Total brain fog. Previous years (this is my 3rd time) I felt really awesome at first and then on reflection realized my answers sucked. This year I realized my answers sucked as I wrote them, but there was not enough time to elaborate/refine them. Now as time goes by I feel I did not do as bad as I thought, but I still could have improved substantially on many of them. Sigh. You'd think I'd be a pro by now. Maybe that bad feeling is a good sign (since I did not receive an interview the previous two cycles).

Wrote early this morning. Total brain fog. Previous years (this is my 3rd time) I felt really awesome at first and then on reflection realized my answers sucked. This year I realized my answers sucked as I wrote them, but there was not enough time to elaborate/refine them. Now as time goes by I feel I did not do as bad as I thought, but I still could have improved substantially on many of them. Sigh. You'd think I'd be a pro by now. Maybe that bad feeling is a good sign (since I did not receive an interview the previous two cycles).

Well, there goes my optimism :o

That happened to me as well. I also lost two whole sections because the video froze on one section I didn't click anything for some time while trying to get hold of the Help Desk. I finally decided to press "Resume Casper Test' only to find myself skipped two entire sections...

I also thought it was pretty fun. The other videos were much better (at least in my opinion) than the sample videos.

Well, time to start waiting. Other than submitting my UofA application which has been done for weeks, I'm finally done everything for my applications. It's a weird feeling.

That happened to me as well. I also lost two whole sections because the video froze on one section I didn't click anything for some time while trying to get hold of the Help Desk. I finally decided to press "Resume Casper Test' only to find myself skipped two entire sections...

Yikes, looks like you scored badly on the surreptitious decision making test... lol jk

Archived