Premed 101 Forums

Canadian-Romanian student- Advice wanted

ILO

Hello,

I am a Romanian-Canadian student (dual citizenship) and I'm thinking of applying to med school in Romania preferably Iuliu Hațieganu University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Cluj english program. I have a bio degree from a Canadian university and I need help on a number of issues.

1) How hard is it to get into med school in Romania and what are the prospects for returning to Canada or the US in terms of residency? I know it's hard and I have looked at the CARMS reports so anyone with personal experience as an IMG please help

2) What is the current state of Romanian med schools, I know about the corruption in Romania and all that so any info on Cluj would be appreciated.

3) How does Iuliu Hațieganu University of Medicine and Pharmacy compare to other Romanian med schools and other schools (US, Carib, Canadian) in terms of quality of education, clinical rotations?

4) Is it possible to fund your own education once there? I know it's 5000 euros per year which isn't nearly as much as Canadian/US/Carib school but still expensive, does the university provide employment for students like TA'ing? Also what are job prospects like for students there? Would I be able to earn 5000 euros a year working?

5) I have a lot of leadership experience and hospital volunteer experience, is that something they take into consideration? Would my bio degree be a help?

Anyone that has any info please comment and enlighten me! Thank you!

I've heard good things about it and I think my application for Canadian schools is not competitive enough. I have thought about a second degree but that takes a lot of time and I do not have the money for an american or carib school and I'm not on board with the 300k debt at the end of it when I'll just be considered an IMG anyway. I'm fluent in Romanian and have a lot of family there so accommodation is guaranteed and expenses will be minimized. Also they have 2 semesters of 14 weeks each meaning I'll be in Canada for 5 months during which time I can continue my volunteering here and get more exposure to the Canadian system while building a contact base, networking, all that stuff which may help me later on when I come back. I can also work and finance my own education. There is a Romanian physician network in the US that accepts Romanian med school students and gets them a 2 month clinical rotation in the US while paying for their accommodation. So even if Canada might be too hard to get into that US clinical rotation might help if I decide to go to the US for residency. I know it'll be extremely hard to come back but I do want to give it a shot although I'm not sure if my volunteer experience here, english skills, contacts and degree will give me an advantage to the point that even though I'm an IMG I'll get a residency because I'll be more competitive relative to other IMG's, maybe you could answer that for me?

• 4 months later...

I think you'd be better off asking most of these questions on a Romanian website/discussion board or something, as you're probably not going to get many people here with knowledge about that.

From the standpoint of coming back, the school you attend is not really that important as long as you have a strong application.

Some things you should look into about the school: What is the 'English' version of the program and how does it differ from the original? What is the curriculum like, what are the qualifications of the faculty that teach you, e.g. are they in active clinical practice or are they only PhDs/researchers? What is the clinical curriculum like, where are rotations held, how much exposure do you get, what is the ratio of attendings/residents:students and ratio of patients:students, and what level of autonomy do you have as a student. Also look at the USMLE pass rate and match rate. Assuming this is an 'English' version of the school, that tells me there will be data on that, as it's going to be full of US/Cdn rejects so they should all be taking the USMLEs and applying in North America.

Hello,

I am a Romanian-Canadian student (dual citizenship) and I'm thinking of applying to med school in Romania preferably Iuliu Hațieganu University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Cluj english program. I have a bio degree from a Canadian university and I need help on a number of issues.

1) How hard is it to get into med school in Romania and what are the prospects for returning to Canada or the US in terms of residency? I know it's hard and I have looked at the CARMS reports so anyone with personal experience as an IMG please help

2) What is the current state of Romanian med schools, I know about the corruption in Romania and all that so any info on Cluj would be appreciated.

3) How does Iuliu Hațieganu University of Medicine and Pharmacy compare to other Romanian med schools and other schools (US, Carib, Canadian) in terms of quality of education, clinical rotations?

4) Is it possible to fund your own education once there? I know it's 5000 euros per year which isn't nearly as much as Canadian/US/Carib school but still expensive, does the university provide employment for students like TA'ing? Also what are job prospects like for students there? Would I be able to earn 5000 euros a year working?

5) I have a lot of leadership experience and hospital volunteer experience, is that something they take into consideration? Would my bio degree be a help?

Anyone that has any info please comment and enlighten me! Thank you!

You can apply back but have you considered specialties? I wouldn't go to Romania without wanting to match back in Family Med and possibly Internal medicine or Psych in Canada.

In the US Family, Internal, Peds will all be good enough.

I don't know about the quality of romanian medical education, although I'd imagine you would have questions raised about the quality of your education.

Keep in mind if you match back to any province other than Manitoba, you will be doing a few years in a rural area. 5 for a specialty and i think less 2 or 3 for family medicine.

If you have dreams of being a leading physician at a top medical center or an academic physician, you probably won't be very well served going abroad.

If you aren't seriously determined now to study like hell and work like hell i would not leave Canadian soil.

Archived