Premed 101 Forums

UFT- Behavorial Interviewing

Guest NOURA19

Guest NOURA19

Hey,

For those of you who have previously been interviewed at UFT or have had the advantage of experiencing the Behavorial type of interviews already....I'm wondering if you could help, and shed some insight on the process of this interview technique.....more specifically.

1. Is there a chance of ethical questions to be posed?

2. Should we brush up on our knowledge of current events/advancements in the world of Dentistry...i.e. have questions regarding this ever been brought up...is it possible?

3. When asked a situational question..'what would you do if.....?', should we incorporate our answer with a real life experience of the situation, or is it not necessary?

4. If I find that I may have more than one experience regarding specific issues ('give me a time when.....?'), would it be better to give more than one example, or is one sufficient?

5. (this qustion may sound weird but here goes...)This is regarding the end questions that we get to adress the panel with. Which is more advantagous?,

(a) asking questions

(B) asking quesitons and engaging in the discussion with the panel, (in response to their reply, add your comments and thoughts?)....

which have most found most sucessful?

If anyone could pitch in , it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot people!!!;) :rollin

Guest Saint Seiya

What's UFT?

1. Ethical? Yes and no. What sorts of ethical questions are you talking about here? You won't get any ethical questions in politics/current events for sure.

2. Absolute no dentistry-related questions.

3. Not necessary, but.....when you answer the question, you've already "unconsciously" incorporated the knowledge/experiences you gained previously in your answer...... Correct? Maybe.

4. One is enough (pick the best one), unless you have difficulty making a decision.....a big no-no. :P

5. You don't need to ask questions at the end of interview, but if you want to, ask smart questions.

Guest pearlywhitesBC

I would have to say that asking questions at the end of an interivew can be a good way to get some of you motivations across to the interviewers. It can also be a great oppportunity for you to find out some things about the school that you otherwise wouldn't learn about.

I asked questions at the end of both of my interviews (UBC and McGill) and ended up discussing a bit about why I asked and why these things were important to me. For instance, one of the questions that I asked at both schools was about what kind of opportunities there were for students to design and conduct research while they were studying (or in the summers). I explained that I had been doing research at a biotech company for the past couple of years (and enjoying it) and would like to continue with this a bit if at all possible.

I asked the student who interviewed me at UBC quite a few questions about the program - what he thought were it strengths and weaknesses, did he feel prepared going into the clinic, what kind of extra-curricular activities were the students able to participate in, etc.

I don't know, but I looked at it as an opportunity to learn more about what was unique about each of the shools and what it had to offer. I also thought that it showed the interviewers that I had thought a bit about their programs and that I knew what I was looking for in a school...I'm sure it couldn't have hurt!

good luck!

P.S. Is UFT the same as UofT?

Guest DentGirl2004

I agree with everything that was said. Another piece of advice I got from someone at the University of Saskatchewan was that the end of the interview was a good opportunity to tell the interviewers a bit about why you wanted to go into dentistry since they had never seen your file before.

They usually ask if theres anything else that you want to tell them that they haven't touched on in the interview and thats the perfect time to summarize all your strengths and attributes, that may or may not have been brought up in the interview, so that they understand why you're there and why you want to be a dentist.

:)

Guest NOURA19

Thanks for all the input, everyone it really did help!

UFT vs U of T....man hasnt anyone ever seen it as UFT??? its the coolest thing, everyone's using it....(ok, fine, I made it up.......and I guess i'm the only one using it!) hehe:hat

Archived