Premed 101 Forums

Couple Matching

GeorgeIV

I just recently found out that it is possible to match with your significant other. I was wondering if anyone knows what the stats are for people that couple match. Does it put you and your significant other at a disadvantage to matching to your desired programs?

Disadvantageous.

How much depends on what each of you wants. Family x 2, not too bad. Optho plus ENT , HIGHLY disadvantageous.

Disadvantageous.

How much depends on what each of you wants. Family x 2, not too bad. Optho plus ENT , HIGHLY disadvantageous.

Yeah it knocks you down a bit in the odds section in theory - quite often one of the pair happens though to want something less competitive if for no other reason than law of averages.

We have people in our class doing and doing it with some pretty competitive specialties. Obviously we are all hoping it works out!

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely no disadvantage, been there done that. Since you can actually choose an unlimited assortment of possibilities, there's no problem. You can even choose in your list choices that place you at different universities, in different programs, even give choices on the hypothesis that one doesn't match.... (I matched in a different university, but in the same city as my spouse). I believe we had 57 choices of programs/univerities/no match in all (finally, got first choice).

Absolutely no disadvantage, been there done that. Since you can actually choose an unlimited assortment of possibilities, there's no problem. You can even choose in your list choices that place you at different universities, in different programs, even give choices on the hypothesis that one doesn't match.... (I matched in a different university, but in the same city as my spouse). I believe we had 57 choices of programs/univerities/no match in all (finally, got first choice).

Wow impressive!

- the math guy in me those is confused. There must be some sort of disadvantaged if two people want the exact same location for a statistics point of few. Each individual matches are independent(?)

Archived