Premed 101 Forums

Geographical Status

McMaster recently sent me mail informing me that they changed my geographical status from outside Ontario to Ontario. I have no idea why. I'm assuming this is a mistake, but I wanted to post my situation and get some feedback before I contact them.

I am from the Maritimes. I lived there until the end of High School. I then attended Queen's University for 2 years. I transferred back to Dalhousie to complete my undergrad and graduate work. I moved to Ontario September 2011 and continue to live in Ontario.

The OMSAS guidelines say to qualify as a Ontario resident, I must be a Canadian citizen, and have resided in Ontario for at least three years, since the age of 14, by the date of possible entry to the program.

I was under the impression that time spent as a student didn't count towards determining residency status for medical school applications. I mean, I never switched my drivers license or health card when I attended Queen's. I still consider my permanent residence to be back in the Maritimes. I've also applied to other medical schools as a Maritime applicant.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Is this just an error?

According to the website, your time as a student counts. It says 3 years since the age of 14 and time attending an Ontario university satisfies the requirement. I'm just going by what it says on the Mac website. If they do consider you IP, it's definitely good news for you! Here's the link:

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/geographical_status.html

Aside from asking to verify geographical status, does this letter mean anything? This same letter already asks if one anticipates any conflict with McMaster's interview dates. Do all applicants get this or only those that have a chance of being invited to an interview?

Aside from asking to verify geographical status, does this letter mean anything? This same letter already asks if one anticipates any conflict with McMaster's interview dates. Do all applicants get this or only those that have a chance of being invited to an interview?

I highly doubt that this is the case... But I don't have any source to back it up.

I'm pretty sure that everyone gets this letter in the mail around November.

I am having the same problem as mt.

I applied to Dalhousie as a maritime applicant. I have lived in the maritimes full time since I completed my Master's degree 2 years ago.

However, I grew up in Ontario. I lived there from the time I was born until I was 19 - fulfilling the requirement to have lived in Ontario for 3 years from the time I was 14.

So does the mean I am a maritime applicant according to Dalhousie, and an Ontario applicant according to McMaster? I didn't think you were allowed to claim two different residences?

I am having the same problem as mt.

I applied to Dalhousie as a maritime applicant. I have lived in the maritimes full time since I completed my Master's degree 2 years ago.

However, I grew up in Ontario. I lived there from the time I was born until I was 19 - fulfilling the requirement to have lived in Ontario for 3 years from the time I was 14.

So does the mean I am a maritime applicant according to Dalhousie, and an Ontario applicant according to McMaster? I didn't think you were allowed to claim two different residences?

Each school has its own rules for residency - as long as you obey them and you match then you meet their requirements. If they were worried about you being exclusively locked into only one province then they would have directly put that into their rules. They didn't. DON'T invent rules to reduce your odds - it is hard enough to get in already :)

The point of this rules is to see if you are likely to remain in an area after graduating so that school can meet its regional requirements. In your case there is good evidence you would be happy to stay in either area. That is why you meet both school's rules.

It's so weird that I responded to the OP and then when I got my letter they had switched me from IP to OOP. This makes absolutely no sense because I moved to Petawawa in June of 2008 and I have lived there in the home I own ever since. By May of 2013 I will have lived here for 5 years. I did take correspondence classes from the U of M this term but I don't see why that would change my status and even if it did I still have enough years to qualify. WTF?

It's so weird that I responded to the OP and then when I got my letter they had switched me from IP to OOP. This makes absolutely no sense because I moved to Petawawa in June of 2008 and I have lived there in the home I own ever since. By May of 2013 I will have lived here for 5 years. I did take correspondence classes from the U of M this term but I don't see why that would change my status and even if it did I still have enough years to qualify. WTF?

Time to ask them - sounds like you would have a strong case that there is an error (?)

Time to ask them - sounds like you would have a strong case that there is an error (?)

I certainly hope so. I can show that I've owned a home here for 5 years as well as paid taxes. Perhaps they saw that I was enrolled at U of M and assumed I was from Manitoba? I am from there originally so all of my formal education took place there. I feel like this must be an error but it's definitely got me nervous. I'm going to call on Monday.

I certainly hope so. I can show that I've owned a home here for 5 years as well as paid taxes. Perhaps they saw that I was enrolled at U of M and assumed I was from Manitoba? I am from there originally so all of my formal education took place there. I feel like this must be an error but it's definitely got me nervous. I'm going to call on Monday.

good luck! Mistakes do happen - and they also can be corrected.

I was wondering whether someone happened to have their letter from Mac and could let me know the methods of proving your in-province status it lists. I'm visiting family in Winnipeg for Christmas and my husband mailed it to me here but it hasn't arrived yet. I believe the deadline is the 14th so I'd like to get on this.

I think it lists that you can use a bill with your address on it, but then do you have to provide a bill from 3 years ago? Could I use my tax return? I asked the admissions office whether I could just show that I own a home in Ontario with my mortgage papers but she said that might not work since I could be renting that home out.

If someone could give me a hand with this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
Just as a follow-up, I heard back from Mac and based on the documentation I provided they changed my status to in-province. I guess for people not originally from Ontario they just want to see some proof beyond the fact that you claim to be from here. Thanks again for the info and assistance.

glad it worked out. Things like this usually do in the end. The schools are fair in the application of the rules they do have :)

Archived