Premed 101 Forums

financial aid

Guest kkarebear

Guest kkarebear

Hi guys!!

I'm just wondering, for those who attended the tour at UBC... could you please fill me in on the financial aid part or where I can go to find out more. I went to the dentistry website and there isn't much there! Tuition is so expensive and I will defenitely need some help. Thanks for the info !

Guest ubcdent

hey kkarebear...

scotiabank came in to talk to us about it....and they say they would offer the prime rate....which is 4.5%. you have to pay interest every month...and takes about 5-7 years after graduation to pay off the loan.

here's the website for application + more info:

www.scotiabank.com/cda/co...en,00.html

u can get a loan from government...but there's a lifetime maximum. so if you didn't get a loan during your undergrad...it means you can lend more now.

you can also join the military...and they pay part of your tuition fee + instruements + monthly allowances...in return u have to work for them for 5 years at $77000/year.

hope that helps...wish you the best in dental school!:P

Guest toothy

just to put in my hearsay about the military, my friend (who was accepted last year) told me it's no longer a choice but a privilege, because they have cut down the number of spots to about a dozen. The pay is more like $85000 (with bonus living expense in larger cities) with yearly raises of several $1000. In Ontario they pay for all of the tuition. As someone mentioned on the med side, you can retire after something like 20 years of service, which means you can go into private practice at that time and earn 2 incomes. Don't forget that your summer holidays will be spent doing training. Might be tougher considering UBC starts in Aug.

Guest bcdentalgirl

Regarding student loans: the lifetime max is actually quite high, translating to around 8 years so having taken a loan during your undergrad is not much of a factor.

The Scotia line of credit is prime for people attending certain professional degrees like medicine and law (I am thinking that Dentistry is also included). They just don't say that in their brochures :) You have to call the bank directly to find out (ask who is in charge of professional student loans, some branches don't have them and so they don't know)

Guest vic chick

hi guys,

does anybody remember what the woman's name was that was from scotiabank, or have her email address?

And was that amount of $ 12,000 that the financial aid guy quoted as the max student loan amount available for both BC and Fed combined? Or just one of them? thx

Guest bcdentalgirl

Her name is Patty Scrase and her phone number is 604-619-4699.

I'm pretty sure that the 12000 student loan thing is both provincial and federal.

Archived