Premed 101 Forums

Queen's MD/PhD Program

Congrats DoktaEvergreen! I also received an invite this afternoon and am curious to learn more about Queen's MD Ph.D. interview process, particularly the panel interview process. I am also curious to know the stats. In the email they mentioned that there is far less applicants to the MD PhD program compared to the MD program, but they didn't mention how many seats they have. I know Toronto is somewhere in the ballpark of 60 applicants per year to 10 seats. Any info would be greatly appreciated :D

By the way, DoktaEvergreen, did you apply / receive anything from U of T's MD PhD program yet? Also, which grad program did you apply to for Queens MD PhD program?

Congrats to you both!

I have no insight into the interview process, but am curious... would it be easier then to get into Queen's through the MD/PhD stream than the MD?

Thanks Parad0cs :) I'm not too sure if it is easier, as they probably evaluate the candidates on slightly different grounds compared to the MD only program. From personal experience, I didn't get an interview for the past 3 years and I applied to the MD only program. Luckily, I got my first interview with Queens this year, which also happens to be the first year I applied to the MD PhD program. I should mention that the strongest area of my application was in research (5 publications, 3 as lead author, 10+ presentations at local and international conferences, and several abstracts). I am assuming that helped out my case a bit. I should also note that applying to the MD PhD program will not hurt your chance at getting into the MD program. The interview invite email from Queens states,

"In the event that you are not offered a place in the MD/PhD-MD/Master’s program, you will still be eligible for admission to our MD program. In this case, your score from the MD/PhD/Master’s program interview on January 25th will be used to establish your ranking within the applicant pool invited for interview for admission to the MD program."

Mind you, I wouldn't suggest applying to the MD PhD program as an easier way to get into the MD program. The PhD portion part of the program will add on an extra 3 years of intensive research, at minimum (unless you are extremely lucky and have phenomenal talent in research), and is meant to prepare trainees as physician-scientist, not just as physicians. However, if you are genuinely interested in research and pursuing a career as a physician-scientist, I would certainly recommend applying to the MD PhD program, as it will not hurt your chances at getting into Queens MD only program.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to wish all you other MD / PhD applicants the best of luck for this upcoming week. Hoping we hear earlier in the week rather than later. I can imagine some of you are starting to feel the heat, so I thought I should let you know you certainly aren't alone :P

I also want to let you know it was a pleasure meeting all of you last month and it calms me to know that those who get the spots clearly deserves them. Honestly, I was astonished by the brilliance, creativity, and passion for medicine and research that all of you demonstrated.

Also, if possible, could you please post your results and a brief outline of your application (i.e. the usual - GPA, MCAT, and brief overview of ECs - as well as a more detailed sketch of your research productivity) when we hear? I remember most of you telling me you lurk these forums, but never post. It would help future applicants to gain a better understanding of what Queen's MD / PhD program may be looking for.

Best of luck once again and look forward to sharing the results with you all in a few days time! :D

Good question. Hopefully the people who are successful in the process will let us know once they get in. I know some MD / PhD programs waive tuition, but I never asked about Queens. What I do know is that during the first two years of study in the MD program, a stipend of $25,000 per year will be provided for MD/PhD students and $15,000 per year for MD/Masters students. Of course, during graduate studies, students receive the minimum guaranteed stipend for the graduate program in which they are enrolled (~15,000 - 20,000 for M.Sc. and ~ 25,000 - 30,000 for Ph.D. - depending on the program and what additional funding and awards can be obtained). - http://www.queensu.ca/sgs/program/health-sciences/combinedmd.html

Maybe someone else who applied to the program and knows the answer can help out further. Unfortunately there is only one person in the program right now and I don't know if that person uses this forum.

Does anyone from the MD / PhD applicant pool remember if the results from the selection process are supposed to go out BY the end of February or AROUND the end of February? I know it's a minor difference, but my anxiety level is over 9000 :P Just trying to figure out whether I'm psyching myself up this week over potentially nothing.

Yeah if you find out the details (and other school's MD PHD info if you have it) could you PM it to me? Thanks and *** bless.

Will do if I get those details.

So I finally heard back, although my application was unsuccessful :( Oh well, guess there's still the MD program. Anyone get wait-listed for the MD PhD or does that even exist? I'd be very curious to hear if they wait-listed anyone or if it's an automatic rejection or acceptance. Send me a private message if you don't feel like posting on the public forum.

I've got a couple messages now via pm from some of the other md phd applicants and figured I should let anyone who hasn't heard back yet know that queens admissions officer confirmed with me the seats have already been filled and there is no wait-list. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but at least we are all still in the running for the md program, which has a far better seat to interviewee ratio, so do not despair. Best of luck all!

Archived