Premed 101 Forums

Gpa

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone in his thread,

I called admissions office to ask just this week (monday) and the staff said it should be up by "next week or so"

lol couldn't get any more specific than that.

I have a question though- are you all looking for a final GPA calculation or the one that is already posted in the year breakdown list? (I.e. 2009-2010...3.XX....weight 5.00)

thanks!

Hello everyone in his thread,

I called admissions office to ask just this week (monday) and the staff said it should be up by "next week or so"

lol couldn't get any more specific than that.

I have a question though- are you all looking for a final GPA calculation or the one that is already posted in the year breakdown list? (I.e. 2009-2010...3.XX....weight 5.00)

thanks!

final gpa that will be used in their algorithm to calculate who gets full file review. Not sure if this is as important for IP.

final gpa that will be used in their algorithm to calculate who gets full file review. Not sure if this is as important for IP.

It is, because it's what they'll use to calculate the GPA-based 20% of your pre-interview final score.

Last year the system was a nightmare at calculating gpa. If you had any non summer work terms I'd watch the website closely... whomever made the website clearly didn't think of coop programmes.

It was pretty rough last year, but they learned a lot and have tried to fix it. Last year, they posted everybody's GPA and many were wrong. They seem to be taking more time this year to make sure it's all OK before posting.

I am OOP and mine is also up! However, I haven't received any emails from them? (actually, haven't received one since I submitted my application!)

Double check your app. You can still change the personal info section throughout the cycle incl address and email. But id wait and see if other oops get emails (im ip) before bugging them. And obviously check your junk mail. But if you got a confirmation when you submitted you should be ok. :)

My Gpa is wrong :(. I applied for the 10 year exclusion and this was not done. They also used a year from another degree that was only part-time (3.5 credits) and they totally left off my Master's Gpa. Did anything like this happen to anyone else yet?

My Gpa is wrong :(. I applied for the 10 year exclusion and this was not done. They also used a year from another degree that was only part-time (3.5 credits) and they totally left off my Master's Gpa. Did anything like this happen to anyone else yet?

This happened to me also. I would write them an email ASAP if you haven't already done so.

I am OOP and mine is also up! However, I haven't received any emails from them? (actually, haven't received one since I submitted my application!)

Mine are up too, but no e-mail yet. In the past I've received e-mails from them (like about MCAT, etc)

EDIT: I'm OOP too

My GPA is up, too, though no emails. I'm OOP.

I'm curious about the GPA calculation. Is it not weighted by how many courses you took per year? I was in co-op one semester so my GPA of the other semester is counted towards a full time year, but only 5 courses go towards the GPA of that full year, which seems to put undue emphasis on those courses in the final calculation. I see a weighted value beside each of my "full-time" years, but it is not used in the final calculation... :confused:

Anybody else find this? Or does the weighting come into play later, after the interview?

My GPA is up, too, though no emails. I'm OOP.

I'm curious about the GPA calculation. Is it not weighted by how many courses you took per year? I was in co-op one semester so my GPA of the other semester is counted towards a full time year, but only 5 courses go towards the GPA of that full year, which seems to put undue emphasis on those courses in the final calculation. I see a weighted value beside each of my "full-time" years, but it is not used in the final calculation... :confused:

Anybody else find this? Or does the weighting come into play later, after the interview?

Larkspur, I'd e-mail them ASAP. I have already heard back and they are trying to work through my problem. They had me down as doing a co-op (didn't) as one of the errors and I do know that they weight it differently but not sure how.

My Master's GPA was also left out too, though it's because my degree is still in progress. I'm not sure where you are with your Master's (complete/in progress), but this could be one explanation.

My Master's GPA was also left out too, though it's because my degree is still in progress. I'm not sure where you are with your Master's (complete/in progress), but this could be one explanation.

My Master's has been completed for 4 years now. I guess others have had problems as well if they applied for the 10 year exclusion, had grad degrees (completed) or co-op. Oddly, the system picked up a random undergrad year where I only had done 3.5 credits that year- I believe this would be 21 on Calgary system which is part-time and counted this as a year. Hopefully this will be fixed Monday (fingers crossed).

I can only see my 1st and 2nd year GPA on UCAN. This might be a silly question, but does Calgary not consider summer courses? I did orgo in the summer and its not shown on UCAN.

FYI: I am currently in my 3rd year.

Only full time Sept-April years are considered in the GPA calculation. But the summer courses will be looked at along with the MCAT and other indicators for the subjective assessment of academic merit.

Archived