Premed 101 Forums

Toronto Pathology

Do an elective at Sunnybrook if you can -- the program director is there, and you'll have the opportunity to get facetime with him. St. Mike's and Mt. Sinai would also likely be good. Avoid UHN as a med student, as it's too subspecialized. If you're interested in forensics, try to arrange an elective at the coroner's office. Great staff, super interesting cases.

U of T's program is big, with less hand-holding than at other, smaller, programs. Lot of research opportunities. Great variety of cases. Good city. It's the most competitive program in the country (which really doesn't say much!). Most residents have a grad degree or strong research experience, so this could hold your application back if you don't have it.

Anything else you're curious about?

Do you know much about the neuropathology program?

No, not much, sorry. I know one NP resident, but I don't think he's on pmed101.

I know (1) you need to do a few months of Neuro sx in PGY1, (2) you need to do a yr of AP during your training and (3) it's a tiny program which can make applications interesting. There was only one NP applicant in the country last year, so he had his choice of programs. I have no idea what the job market is like.

Archived