Premed 101 Forums

so quiet here !

Guest qtpie

Guest qtpie

Man its been so quite - like a ghost town!

Anyone preparing to write the DAT this Nov? I've got one more week to decide before I should register (going on vacation for a month)..

- oh yes, as a first time taker, how did you find the carving? a lot of my friends found the sciences really easy, but got *** up the a*s on the carving..

do you think 2 mnths is suffice for carving?

Guest bcdentalgirl

Hi,

yeah, where are all the dental ppl?

You know, I was told exactly the same thing about the difficulty levels of sciences vs. carving and it kind of bit me in the a**. I carved like a maniac for a month and skimmed the sciences. I ended up getting a high mark in carving and a paltry (but just passable) mark in chemistry.

2 months should be fine - don't sweat it.

Guest qtpie

Hey bcdentalgirl,

would it be a good Idea to buy their soap pack? seems pretty expensive and what if I run out (which is highly likely )? can you use Lever 2000 or something?

thanks

Guest toothy

the texture of the soap is different from store brands and you will need quite a while to wittle it down to the correct shape and size. I think some places might sell it cheaper than CDA (U of T bookstore?)

Guest bcdentalgirl

I agree. try the bookstore first. But it can't hurt to try out your technique on some cheap old soap first, then move on to the real stuff. I bought an extra six-pack and it was just enough. If I had to advise, I'd say buy 2 just to be safe - you can always sell the extras.

• 4 months later...
Guest King Hong

Does anyone here know any other Canadian pre-dental forum? It's so quite here. PS. I want to buy the DAT Preparation Kit. Does anyone here want to sell it? Thanks!

Guest bcdentalgirl

Sorry, I don't know of any other forums...

If you are in BC, I have the CDA DAT prep kit plus carving knife, ruler, all you'd need to get would be soap and replacement blades (available at UBC bookstore). I also have the most recent Kaplan DAT prep book in excellent shape (paid 82$ plus tax at the bookstore). Make me an offer...

Guest King Hong

HI,Thanks bcdentalgirl, I'm in Burnaby and I'm interested in your DAT stuff. Are your DAT pre kit in good shape?Any highlight?BTW, how to contact you by email? Thanks!

Guest bcdentalgirl

If you click on my name, I have set up and made available an e-mail adress. I've looked through the books and there's a lot of marking in the CDA prep book but next to none in the Kaplan. Send me an e-mail and we'll hook up.

I have extra dat carving preparation material that I didn't use for the November DAT. It is by IQ publications and it is Kit 3, which includes 12 pieces of chalk, 3 pieces of wax, 2 blades and a sample exam figure. However, I already opened the package and used one piece of chalk and wax. The rest of the material is in mint condition. The original cost is $23.49 including tax from the UBC bookstore but I am willing to sell it for $18 flat. If anyone is interested email me.

Archived