Premed 101 Forums

PA in other specialties?

Can PA's only work in family medicine, internal medicine and emergency medicine or could they work in another specialty as well such as psychiatry? Are they hired privately by physicians who need them or by the Ministry of Health?

PAs work in every specialty, including psychiatry. I know several psych PAs.

PAs can be hired by whomever wants to hire them.

• 3 months later...
Has anyone heard of PAs working in Public Health in Canada. I'm an epidemiologist looking to get a clinical degree to further progress in my career. Does anyone know if this would help or am I better with a nursing degree? (sadly a Med degree is out of reach, but GPA and financial wise).

Thanks!

If a med degree is out of reach then a PA degree at McMaster or Manitoba might prove difficult as well.

There are PAs in public health.

I have to agree with PA Student. It seems that it is now just as competitive to get into PA schools in Canada as it is to get into med schools. That being said, nursing is probably an excellent option. Many nurses in public health, and many in upper level government public health positions (that pay really well).

Hi again,

Thanks for the replies - as for the GPA competitiveness thing - Med School is out since most use the full 4 years of undergrad whereas the PA program at UofM only takes into consideration the last 60 credit hours, full or part time. My last few years were stellar and I have done a number of part time courses with good results. Those first few years of undergrad eons ago were a ***** ;)

Anyway, I had not meant for this to be a discussion about whether or not I would get in, rather, if there is any point in doing the degree. It was mentioned that there are PAs in Public Health - can you give me an example of where and in what capacity? If there is an accepted role I am very interested in hearing more about it!

While I am not very knowledged about pathologist assistants, I do believe they are quite different from physician assistants.

They are not physician assistants at all, they are pathologist assistants (even though a pathologist is a physician), but they're still known as PAs ;)

Archived