Premed 101 Forums

Applying for Dentistry w/ a Masters degree

Guest mugenman2003

Guest mugenman2003

hi all, I just recently completed my masters degree in exercise physiology (not DIRECTLY related) at SFU, but am interested as to whether this will help me (with regard to the application process).

I was working on my MSc in molecular biology, and i've applied to UT and McGill. I think both schools have a separate pool for grad applicants, where they've are evaluated differently from undergrad ie. the school will look at the grad courses mark, the number of publications, accomplishments during grad training etc... mcgill required reference but uoft doesn't.

I don't know exactly how the school select people for interview... but based on my experience I would say grad school helps only when you can demonstrate more your ability and productivity that you haven't have a chance to show during your undergrad ie. better grad gpa and i think publication will be an extra bonus (not saying it's a must). Experiences from my grad study has become useful in writing for my application essay. Since my undergrad gpa is not that spectacular, i would say my grad def'n help.

But as i've mentioned previously, these are just some thoughts from myself... i don't know exactly how their system of evaluation on their grad applicants...good luck!

at UWO there is an unknown "bonus" system that rewards applicants with graduate degrees. As a result the average age is often higher than at U of T. Every year there are a few MSc and maybe a PhD in the class. Since UWO has no preference for in-province apps we also have a somewhat large number of OOPs.

Archived