Premed 101 Forums

Acceptances

Guest plugger

Guest plugger

I would like to get an acceptances thread going. As they start to roll, could everyone please post their results. In addition, could you also post some stats so that we have an idea as to what is being deemed competitive. Oh, and if you know where you're going to go (more than 1 school) please include that as well. I was just at the dentist, he teaches at UofT, and he has tried for the last five years to get his daughter into the program, no success. NOT GOOD. Anyways good luck to everyone, and if you get waitlisted at UofT, don't give up, they had to take 36 out of the 64 from the waitlist last year (thats greater than half) -100 acceptances for 64 positions.

Cheers!

Guest plugger

Just as I thought - waitlisted. Maybe real estate is calling my name!

Re stats : GPA 3.87(third year)

DAT: PAT- 15(must have screwed me), Academic-19

And I thought the interview went well- who knows?

I would really like to know how this happens when your GPA is supposed to account for 70% of the admissions criteria - anyways, that's life! Maybe I'll get in off the waitlist-but probably not, I'm nowhere close to number 1.

Let's here from everyone, so I can find out what they were looking for.

Thanks

Guest DentApp

Plugger,

I was reading your earlier posts and really thought you would get accepted outright. Well, I'm waitlisted too...

May I ask whereabouts on the waitlist are you? Top 25? Top 50? I would think with your stats that you would be very close to getting in.

Guest dent03

Just my thoughts plugger

With a GPA like that, I'm sure it wasn't the deciding factor. As well, if you felt the interview went well, that's probably not the cause either. Most likely, its your DAT scores, however, two things suprise me: one-those DAT marks aren't that bad at all; and secondly, with a 3.87 GPA that is weighted for 70%, its hard to believe that you were waitlisted intstead of accepted. (especially considering I have only an 3.83 GPA, and now I don't feel as confident for U of Alberta dents next year-especially considering I'm applying after two years).

Guest DentApp

I'd just want to add that being an upper year helps (ex. 4th year or grad). My GPA isn't spectacular and neither is my DAT. My interview wasn't stellar either, but I'm fairly high ranked in the waitlist.

Guest plugger

Why? Did you get in after being listed number 49, or know somebody else who had been? Personally, I wasn't really expecting to be accepted on my first shot. But after I'd read that so many get in off the waiting list with 3.7's(actually, they needed 100 acceptances to fill 64 postions-that means at least 36 rejected the offer-I just hope alot of people on the waiting list got in somewhere else or got into meds), I started to think, hey I've got a good shot. Then this slap in the face - might as well have been rejected flat out. I am also curious as to how many applied to both meds and dents - in my opinion, if you're accepted into one of them, your chances are better for getting into the other. I just thought hey maybe I'd make the waiting list, top 30 at least -but no, I've got to sit here like a mule and wait for 49/64 to reject their offers both from those accepted and those 48 ahead of me on the waitlist. Off to a great summer here in T.O.

Guest toothy

hey plugger,

didn't you apply to Western as well? If you did I'm sure you can get in. Even if you think it's inferior you will still graduate with a DDS.

about the 48 ahead of you, hmm maybe not all of them will want to go to U of T, i.e. if they were accepted elsewhere or for another discipline.

Guest plugger

No I didn't apply to western, funny thing is, I think its a better school. Why didn't I apply? Well I only have a half credit in physiology(animal anyways) and my whole life is in Toronto- its cheaper (to stay home) and my fiance is here- to get that needed extra support. But UofT fails to compare in terms of facilities and to my knowledge you don't have to learn as much didactic B.S. and western is much more clinically oriented- I think so anyways. People who choose UofT over Western for the reputation make me laugh. And thanks for the added encouragement

Guest Beaver

Plugger are you the person that completed a Neuroscience degree at UofT?

Is Western easier to get into, you seem to have excellent marks, Im sure things will gel for you soon :)

Guest plugger

Well yes I am beaver, too bad all that I've learned is pretty useless unless I get in (no way I'm doing research-not big on my to do list). And again, I did not apply to western, I didn't have a half credit prerequisite that they wanted. Anyways if I have to go back and finish my honours I'll take that half credit, retake the DAT(study this time), and reapply. Hell, I might even apply to the States as well, also what does anyone know about Mcgill - anything to avoid paying the 60K canadian to go to as US school.

Guest driller

hello all,

regarding the u of t waitlist... i found out that I am on the list ranked #11. Is that any good? and do I have a realistic shot? If anyone has any idea i would appreciate it!

Thanks.

Guest DDS15

Mcgill is a good school, except the fact that you are mixed with teh medical class... i guess it could be a good /bad thing.

As for cost wise.. its a cheap school, since u don't pay for equipment the first two years.

cost of living in montreal isn't that bad either.

but be aware the Francophone.

Guest Franco

but be aware the Francophone???

Are you discriminating?

McGill has very obselete dental labs and its reputation has dropped alot.

Guest toothy

hmm talking about facilities, anyone seen the stuff at U of T? I've been there for writing the DAT so I saw the clinic area and the library. I think it looks not too much different from UWO, except of course there isn't a special library for dental students. I have heard that the practice heads in Toronto aren't as sophisticated as those over here, but maybe they've upgraded by now.

Guest Waitlisted

Guys/gals in dental school, what are your stats like?

I'm perplexed 3.87 19DAT on the waitlist......What the is going on here.....me so sad :(

waiting and waiting and waiting

Guest toothy

my cousin just graduated from U of T, and according to her the bottom for GPA was around 3.7~3.8 for several years... 19DAT is a bit on the mediocre side but not critically bad. It might have had to do with your applicant profile or interview. If you were unlucky and met an evil interviewer then I guess there's nothing to be done...

Guest DDS15

my stats are 3.81 gpa- straight outta third year

Dat 18pat, 21 science?...it hink around there, 21 reading, 21carving

first batch of acceptances.

I also know a person in my class , same situation except his gpa was about 3.76.

Guest DDS15

Dear Franco.

From my experiences, francophones have some sort of animosity towards me.... and it seems to me that they just want to start sheit with anglophones all the time. Maybe i'm wrong,..but thats the way i feel. I guess i'll just have to wait for that one person to restore my faith in french canadians.

i forgot to mention in my previous post that i got in last year. So i guess i missed the interview process... darn. :P

Nonetheless, i've gone thru the interview stage and i TOTALLY understand the uncertainty, anxiousness, and frustration of dissapointment and waiting.

" Have patience, and endure"

Guest DDS15

have you ever been to UWO? I am curious how the dental schools compare with each other in academic/practical aspects. We just got a whole bunch of new construction done but it seems none of it is for us to use :(

Guest PeterHill0501

DDS15,

Francophones have some sort of animosity towards you? Perhaps something else is going on? Perhaps this is projection? I'm as anglophone as they get and I personally find the francophone community one of the most fun, welcoming, open-minded, jovial communities I've experienced anywhere in the world. Sure, there are radicals and extremists in any culture...but these are a minority. I think the notion that "francophones just want to start $(*& with anglophones all the time" is a crock of $(*&!

Parles-tu francais? Connais-tu bien des francophones? As-tu déjà apprendre des cours français?

I find your experiences quite strange...I lived in Montreal for many years as an anglophone submerged in a francophone culture. Again, I found that francophones were extremely accomodating. I still hang with mostly francophones because of this openness and lack of rigidity. You can find yourself as the only anglophone in a group of 10 francophones...and interestingly, all of the francophones speak english...take the other scenario...10 anglophones and one francophone...what language do you typically think the group carries out conversation in?

Si tu peux embrasser les differences entres les anglophones et les francophones (et il y en a que trop) peut-être tu encourageras des meilleures relations et, peut-être, tu trouveras des bons amis.

Just my 2 cents.

Guest toothy

I personally have no problems with francophones but are you really "as anglophone as they get"? From reading other posts you have been fluent in french for quite some time now, and you probably have interacted with a good number of french-speaking people as well. Maybe DDS15 is not good in French and got some ridicule when he was lost in the middle of Quebec City? :)

Guest PeterHill0501

Toothy,

I am actually as anglophone as they get. With respect to being fluent...I would say I'm reasonably bilingual...but I've worked really hard to become so. I guess the difference is that I have taken time to learn about the second culture that lives with us in our country. Perhaps DDS15 did get ridiculed when in Quebec city...does that justify warning others in this group to...

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> but be aware the Francophone<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

I find that kind of statement anglo-centric, racist in the broadest sense of the word, inappropriate and insulting to me and most likely to any francophone who frequents this site. Perhaps, if DDS15 has those feelings, he should take some time to explore them personally rather than publicly insulting an entire population with one sweeping generalization? Perhaps the francophone population should, in their home province, more appropriately "be aware this type of Anglophone"? I guess when you've lived as an English Quebecer and seen how accomodating most francophones are to people who, in a primarily French province, not only haven't bothered to learn French but, on top of it actually ignorantly insult their culture, it miffs me.

Archived