Premed 101 Forums

Acceptances

Guest plugger

Guest Franco

Canada has 2 official languages: English and French. Most of the franco speaks English though not all of them are fluent. However, how many of Anglo speak French as fluently as Franco speak English?

Secondly, no all Franco desire independance from Canada...

I really do not want to offend you. I just wish you not to overgeneralize...

Guest DDS15

Toothy,

Yep i've been to uwo, i use to go there. To my understanding , the clinic there is TOP notch and they've also made/or have a simulation clinic where students can go in and practice at anytime.

In toronto, we don't have that luxury... maybe in second year.

Where are you from?

Did you aplpy this year? or student?

Guest DDS15

Peter,

Yes, i am projecting my hatred of francophones becuase i suffer from a deeply rooted psychosis.

Or maybe you are picking at a minute detail and trying to blow it out of proportion because.. ...hmm.... you can.

Yes, you're right i shouldn't have "generalized" that all francophones are mean, but what i should have said was that all the ones that i have met are. I do remember saying that i await the day of meeting someone friendly, who is a francophone. ..In turn, implying that I just haven't met a friendly french canadian, albeit my exposure to them is limited. I did not intend to perpetuate/believe in this perceived animousity forever...just till i meet ONE nice person.. is that too much to ask? You can think what you want, but i know that i am a very open minded person; although at times i may say ignorant things-everyone does " foot in mouth syndrome".. Bottom line, I think everyone is great until they prove me wrong...

Like eating five bad hot dogs in a row.. obviously i would generalize that hot dogs are bad, but in reality I DO Understand that there are a lot of good hot dogs out there..

Oh and, congratulations on having so many francophone friends.. If only i had the same experiences as you , would i be a better man....

"Beware the francophone"- was just a word of warning... but i went on to say my experiences because someone asked. Although i know this might bring alot of heat... Look at what Israel is doing now, ppl from palestine are pretty much labelled as terrorists until proven otherwise. yes i think its unfair, but better safe than sorry. AND YES i know there is alot more too it, but generally that is the perception. Same thing going on in the states, if u fit the profile of a terrorist "BEWARE"

kinda like saying beware of birds in the sky... and being the good person i am, i may bring attention to the fact that from my experiences seaguls are prone to poop on people- Beware the seagulls. ( no i havne't been pooped on :P) .. Or maybe, another analogy- indian girls only marry professionals; thus, beware indian girls. ..... Again, i do understand that not all indian girls go for professionals; thus, Peter you do not have to tell me that you have many indian girlfriends that love poets, atheletes..etc or that i have some kinda projection for some indian girl i loved but never got with.

...On the other hand, i guess i do see your point, i shouldn't warn ppl because i guess they are entitled to their own lives, form their own perceptions, find out their own answers... I guess you would know best since u are that "TYPE" of premed, who is incapable of informing others of extra resources (ie. old tests, articles, lab write ups)..... so i guess warning ppl is something you aren't accustomed to...YES, sorry to shock you all, some premeds are like that and nobody likes being labelled- ie. petey thinks i'm a racist.

I wasn't trying to push the fact francophones are evil people , or to avoid them like the plague.. i coudln't care less if you ignored my post, but to come out and say i'm a racist because of it... thats another story.

..Hopefully you see my " anglo-centric" point... wait a sec, i'm bilingual too!??!!... although not in french.. don't go all crazy if i don't take the time to learn french, cuz i'm not going to go all crazy if you don't know my 2nd language. Also, just because i don't "embrace" another culture doesn't mean i don't respect the individual. geez..

..talk about looking too deep into something.. must be that critical mind of yours... actually, you are right this is my way of dealing with personal hardship...yes thats it, and i do it by projecting it on french people?? .. HEAL ME.

Guest PeterHill0501

Man,

You seem to have much pent up anger...

All I was trying to point out was that perhaps your experience, or your perception of your experience of Francophones may be due...well...to YOUR perception as opposed to anything they have particularly done. On the other hand, it is completely possible you've met several nasty francophones...but I guess what makes me uncomfortable is when generalizations about a population are made based on the experiences of a few.

Hey, I'm sure, if you're living in Montreal going to school you'll meet many great francophones...try the Cafe Campus if it still exists...great bar...great live musical entertainment.

With respect to your comment:

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> ...just till i meet ONE nice person.. is that too much to ask? <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Isn't that like "you're guilty until proven innocent"? Isn't it possible that you are allowing your past experiences to colour future events? Man, that takes a lot of negative energy and may not serve you too well if you are intending to reside in La Belle Province.

With respect to the following:

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> Oh and, congratulations on having so many francophone friends.. If only i had the same experiences as you , would i be a better man.... <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Good comeback...my point was not that I'm a better man...only that there are many great Francophones and I, personally, find their culture, mindset, flexibility, people-centered, fun-loving spirit way more enticing than the snobbish, cliques I've experienced in other parts of English Canada.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> ...On the other hand, i guess i do see your point, i shouldn't warn ppl because i guess they are entitled to their own lives, form their own perceptions, find out their own answers...<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

This previous quote captures all I was trying to say...

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> I guess you would know best since u are that "TYPE" of premed, who is incapable of informing others of extra resources (ie. old tests, articles, lab write ups)..... so i guess warning ppl is something you aren't accustomed to...YES, sorry to shock you all, some premeds are like that and nobody likes being labelled- ie. petey thinks i'm a racist.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Actually, DDS15, I'm quite the opposite of what you imply here. I have participated for the past 12 years in multi-disciplinary research and design teams where sharing ultimately determines the success of the TEAM versus individuals. If you have followed other threads I think you'd quickly find out that I'm one of the first people offer information, suggestions, resources, etc. You see, I've done two degrees, I've been working for 12 years, I've been through many difficult life events (e.g., divorce, significant illness), competition isn't my bag...I don't have to put someone else down to gain footage...I'm my own person...in fact, while fostering development in others I actually also win in many ways. I like to help people see other perspectives...perhaps this is one of those times?

What is your second language...yiddish...arabic? I'd love to have the opportunity to learn these and many other languages...and you can bet, if I lived in countries where they were spoken frequently (or were official languages) I would most certainly make an attempt to learn them. I think all languages should be embraced...they are the means by which we communicate with one another. Heck, medicine and dentistry have their own 'language'...you can only benefit from learning and being capable of communicating wtih more people.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> ..Hopefully you see my " anglo-centric" point... wait a sec, i'm bilingual too!??!!... although not in french.. don't go all crazy if i don't take the time to learn french, cuz i'm not going to go all crazy if you don't know my 2nd language. Also, just because i don't "embrace" another culture doesn't mean i don't respect the individual. geez.. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Well, it's kinda hard to agree with you on this last quote. First...I don't think anybody has insulted your second language in this forum...but I think if they did you'd certainly react in some way, shape or form. Second, by saying things like you did you actually are disrecpecting individuals from that culture...whether you like to believe so or not.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> ..talk about looking too deep into something.. must be that critical mind of yours... actually, you are right this is my way of dealing with personal hardship...yes thats it, and i do it by projecting it on french people?? .. HEAL ME. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Perhaps I do look at things critically...I think it's important to weigh and balance my impact on others...it most likely wouldn't hurt you to look a bit deeper than you are...denial is a significant indicator of an issue.

Oh, and just for the record...I don't believe I said you were a racist...I believe what I was referring to was the kind of statement I read...

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> I find that kind of statement anglo-centric, racist in the broadest sense of the word, inappropriate and insulting to me and most likely to any francophone who frequents this site. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

I also don't hold grudges...I just like to present alternate points of view...perhaps we'll meet for a beer one day?

Peter

Guest toothy

hi DDS15, I'm not going to hound you on that other topic happening here :) I'm finishing up 1st year by the way.

The simulation lab is good in that we get a good sense of how confined the oral cavity is, as opposed to just a set of dentoforms. We don't get to practice whenever we want, only during labs or one night per week. It's a real ripoff too, one plastic tooth costs $3.20, multiply that by maybe 4-5 teeth per week and it can add up! Not to mention overpriced burs too.

Well my school is having problems right now (especially with being understaffed) so I'm curious to see if UofT is better. Please tell me more when you have time. Thanks.

Guest DDS15

All this time i thought it was you who was going cocoa for cocoa puffs over that statement.

I guess i just got the wrong impression from your first post.

by the way, how do you post quotes?

..now if we can go back to what you said..

"you're guilty until proven innocent"? Isn't it possible that you are allowing your past experiences to colour future events?

I do remember mentioning that i give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I "like" everyone UNTIL they prove me wrong.. This may be seen as naive to some, but this is who i am... i guess i'd like to believe that everyone acts out of the goodness of their heart- unfortunately this is not reality with some people. .. I don't view this as a negative thing.. Sorry to burst your bubble, but i don't own a heart of darkness, nor do i amasse hatred/anger/frustration in me and instill it on people before i've even met them.

Cliques are in every culture.

I just ASSUMED you were a hardcore premed, because you assumed that i've painted the whole francophone popultion with animousity... To assume, makes an ASS of U and ME

ANd when i say i don't embrace every culture, i meant that i don't force myself into every aspect of other peoples lives just so i can fit in with everyone.. I consider myself to be aware, not ignorant of the diversity of canada's multicultural society and would like to believe that one day there won't be cliques based on race but based on common interests.

"Second, by saying things like you did you actually are disrecpecting individuals from that culture...whether you like to believe so or not.".. .. I don't think i am disrespecting anyone if .. for example..someone , asian takes a jewish person to a traditional chinese style banquet. Non kosher foods are served... I would like to hope that both friends understand that no one is obliged to do anything they dont' want to. Same case if the friend was not jewish... sure i'td be nice to try something new, but if they don't want to do it , they don't have to. Compromise/understanding/accomadation is key, and i would like to hope that everyone is aware of these concepts.

I agree that communication is key, but realistically speaking you are always going to come across an individual who speaks another language you are not aware of.. THats why we have translators.

Denial is an aspect of everyone's life. Would u like me to admit to having problems? ..Sure i do. Everyone does. Problems are relative to the observer.

Beer? Sure, I'll have a Canadian, how about you?

Guest DDS15

Hey Toothy,

Thanks for not hounding me. Saves , me from typing ;)

Here in Toronto, we only work with manican heads and dentiforms... its just soooo realistic here......... :rolleyes

As for materials .. YOu guys have to pay for your burs??? ouch..thats going to cost ya.. We get them free :)

330's, 245s 1157s 1/4 rounds... allll for free...or maybe its a hidden fee in our tuition... oh well whatever, ...free in the sense we can take as many as we'd like, without directly paying for it.

We also get basic instruments.. we don't get the fibre optic drills that you do. :/

As for Faculty, i know UofT has a recognized staff,.. several of them being renowned individuals for TMD research and Implant technology, oral histo etc... Some say we are understaffed in demonstrators... but i don't think so.

However, we do have to pay for practice teeth.. 2 dollars each. i think i spent 24 dollars the whole year for teeth.

With respect to funding, i know our school is independant from the medical faculty , as with UWO, thus dentistry doens't have to compromise funding with another faculty.

um... what else... U of T has all ...if not most post grad specialties. The building is ugly.. it looks like a big rectangle.

and the interior is even worse.. with lime green tiles and a weird mural in the lobby of a naked woman in the middle of a miriad of a stegasaurus, monkey, armadillos, mitochondria, birds, beavers, ... trust me , its odd. i think its intention was to incorporate evolution, science, nature, ..balh blah.

anyway enough from me, i gots to study !!!

btw, when is your last exam? we end next weds. .

Guest PeterHill0501

DDS15,

Posting quotes is easy you merely put a (quote) in front of text you want to quote and a (/quote) after the text. Instead of using parentheses as I have used in this text, merely replace them with brackets i.e., substitute ( with [ and substitute ) with ].

I'd have a Canadian...but I prefer either a strong Martini, R&C or, if drinking beer something a bit darker. I keep the Canadian for fishing...

Peter

Guest toothy

hi DDS15,

What do you use an 1157 for? We don't have this one. And do you have water coming out of your high speeds? If not then wouldn't the plastic get charred? Even if you say your burs are covered by tuition, you guys have it much cheaper than us. Here the inst. cost is about $5500 x 4 years!! Today was my operative practical, we had to do a maxillary MOD and fill an MO in 2.5 hours. It was a killer :(

Even though the dents here is joined with meds none of the courses are combined. You probably know that the only main specialty offered here is ortho (3 spots only) and this year only one was from here. As for the lack of profs, I think the wages are really bad so only people who love to teach or hate to practice would become a full-time prof. We've got at least 5 profs here who are over 65 and want to retire but are obligated to stay because we are understaffed and those profs don't want the school to suffer. Already we've lost our first year fixed prostho class (less work for me! :) )

I saw that mural when I went there for DAT. I must say that's about the only time an image of a naked woman actually disgusted me. They should have at least tried to make her look better :)

Exams end for us on the 21st... they're spaced so that they don't occur on consecutive days (except for this operative practical)

Guest DDS15

Hey again,

The 1157 is a Latch angle for slow speed.. i use it for refining the walls of a class 2.

As for the water spray, I'd hope every dental drill comes with those! .. i've burned many... smells great... but supposedly not healthy for the tooth. :\

good luck with your exams !

Guest toothy

I think I would have benefitted from something like the 1157! Over here we have to use lots of hand tools to make junk like reverse bevels and perfect 90 degree clearances (0.3-0.6mm)... UWO produces self-proclaimed "best operative graduates" in canada and if that statement is true it's probably because we flunk so many people who might have gotten distracted in the final exam and nicked the adjacent tooth. (that's instant failure)

hey so you guys got the nice-smelling burning teeth too! How about us setting up a plastic tooth black market to undermine the ripoff prices here? (plus turn a tidy profit too) :)

Guest DDS15

Yep, we've got those chisels and binangle whatchamacalits and hatchets and margin trimmers...

Well i think UWO does have a better clincial program since you guys start drilling right off the bat.. we only started in January.

.. As for the burning teeth, and scamming the school.. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Driller - are you #11 on the out-of-province waitlist... or are you an Ontario resident? I am ranked fairly high on the OOP waitlist and am wondering where others are

• 1 month later...
Guest john

Driller,

My friend was # 11 exactly on the UT waitlist last year, and by this time last year she was in, hopefully you have been accepted, best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest driller

Hello all.

I was ranked #11 on the waitlist back in May, and I have recently been accepted to U of T Dents. I guess the waitlist is moving... good luck to everyone else.

Drills

• 4 months later...
Guest toothyhuh

Does UofT look at cumulative GPAs, or best two years, or weigh higher years more etc? I have a cumulative 3 year GPA of 3.7 (best year 3.9), and a DAT score of AA19 and Percep 18. Any good chance at UofT? Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest dentalangel

Hey Dent Apps, you stated that were you were fairly high ranked on the waitlist being a 4th year grad, Your probably into dentistry now as your post is old, but I was wondering what was your Gpa, Dat, Interview scores and where do you apply? I hope you dont mind me asking. Thank you, your response is greatly appreciated.

Archived