Premed 101 Forums

Applying for OGS

Really? What school did you try to apply through? I just applied for OGS for U of T. I found this info on the prospective students OT web page:

"Ontario Graduate Scholarships for 2013

The School of Graduate Studies (SGS), at the University of Toronto oversees the Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) online application process. It is important to note that the OGS application process at the University of Toronto is separate and distinct from an application for admission to the MScOT program through the OUAC-ORPAS system. The University of Toronto has a centralized application form for OGS consideration available to MScOT applicants and current MScOT students. MScOT program applicants may be eligible to apply for an OGS. The Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy can only support a limited number of OGS as determined by the School of Graduate Studies, therefore selection is extremely competitive. Holding an OGS does not have any impact on an applicant’s consideration for entry into the MScOT program. For example, successful OGS applicants are not guaranteed admission to the MScOT program. The deadline to apply for an OGS linked to studies starting in September 2013 in the MScOT program is January 31, 2013. There are no exceptions to this deadline. MScOT program applicants seeking to also be considered for an Ontario Graduate Scholarship should consider these important details:

Determine your eligibility to apply for an OGS by visiting the OGS-SGS website.

If you are eligible to apply for an OGS, please utilize the centralized online application administered by SGS.

TIP: Please note that the MScOT program is a “non-thesis based graduate program”.

TIP: After both your references have submitted their assessments, you must log back into your OGS online application and officially “submit” the application. This must be completed by our stipulated deadline.

The deadline to apply for an OGS linked to studies starting in September 2013 in the MScOT program is January 31, 2013. There are no exceptions to this deadline. It is your responsibility to ensure your references have submitted their assessments by this deadline, and that your OGS application status online is noted as complete by this deadline.

If you apply for an OGS and then choose to not apply for the MScOT program via ORPAS or cancel your ORPAS online application, your OGS application will not be considered by the Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy.

Successful OGS applicants who are also offered conditional admission to the MScOT program will be notified on or after May 17, 2013. Again, the number of successful applicants for an OGS is very limited.

Questions regarding the OGS online application should be directed to ogs@sgs.utoronto.ca."

http://graduate.mcmaster.ca/graduate-scholarships/351-ogs-information-for-students

^ Looks like for mac that you are already considered for OGS and don't need to fill in an application, they just might ask you for extra info if they are considering you. I wish all schools did this!

I found this from 2011 from the rehabilitation sciences website at mcmaster. I couldn't find a 2012, so unless they changed it to that link you provided. I would expect a similar deadline. Which means I already missed it. Hopefully the correct one is the link you provided.

OGS Application Instructions - 2011

Deadline:

All applications must be submitted to the School of Rehabilitation Science, IAHS 403 by WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 21, 2011 at 4 pm – no exceptions

http://www.srs-mcmaster.ca/Default.aspx?tabid=3540

I wish all the schools were like queens and just automatically considered you for it.

I'm pretty sure you can apply to more than 1 school for the ogs, especially considering how each school has a different system for applying to it. Like how would uwo find out if you applied for the u of t one?

I found this from 2011 from the rehabilitation sciences website at mcmaster. I couldn't find a 2012, so unless they changed it to that link you provided. I would expect a similar deadline. Which means I already missed it. Hopefully the correct one is the link you provided.

OGS Application Instructions - 2011

Deadline:

All applications must be submitted to the School of Rehabilitation Science, IAHS 403 by WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 21, 2011 at 4 pm – no exceptions

http://www.srs-mcmaster.ca/Default.aspx?tabid=3540

I wish all the schools were like queens and just automatically considered you for it.

I'm pretty sure you can apply to more than 1 school for the ogs, especially considering how each school has a different system for applying to it. Like how would uwo find out if you applied for the u of t one?

Hmm, they do state on their website (UWO) that you must inform them if you are applying to others, but I'm unsure how this affects things. Also, to apply to OGS for UWO you need a UWO student ID to access the online application (apparently applicants get one), but I'm pretty sure I didn't......and they are so slow at answering emails! Maybe I'll call.

Hmm, they do state on their website (UWO) that you must inform them if you are applying to others, but I'm unsure how this affects things. Also, to apply to OGS for UWO you need a UWO student ID to access the online application (apparently applicants get one), but I'm pretty sure I didn't......and they are so slow at answering emails! Maybe I'll call.

Queen's is the worst when it comes to replies back. They don't answer their phone nor reply back to emails.

Do you know for university of toronto whether or not we need to give them transcripts for courses we took on a letter or permission just for the summer to complete prerequisites? From the ogs application site, there is no mention of this.

Like courses that you're going to be taking this summer? I'm not sure, as I graduated last May.

But I did read somewhere (I think it was once I applied for the OGS) that you could submit an unofficial copy of your transcript (just upload a screen shot of your marks/degree audit in pdf) and that UofT would receive all official documents (ie. transcripts) that you sent through ORPAS to check against this.

Like courses that you're going to be taking this summer? I'm not sure, as I graduated last May.

But I did read somewhere (I think it was once I applied for the OGS) that you could submit an unofficial copy of your transcript (just upload a screen shot of your marks/degree audit in pdf) and that UofT would receive all official documents (ie. transcripts) that you sent through ORPAS to check against this.

Courses like ones I took last summer at another university to complete the prerequisites. i.e I took 1 social science course this past summer at york because my university didn't offer it. I'm curious because on the application form, it asks you when you complete the degree, however if you only took 1 course at another university during the summer, you wouldn't be completing a degree at that university.

Courses like ones I took last summer at another university to complete the prerequisites. i.e I took 1 social science course this past summer at york because my university didn't offer it. I'm curious because on the application form, it asks you when you complete the degree, however if you only took 1 course at another university during the summer, you wouldn't be completing a degree at that university.

Ohhhh, yup, you should be sending those York transcripts to ORPAS. I took a summer course at a University in Spain in 2008 and I emailed ORPAS about it. They said they needed a transcript from "all post secondary institutions ever attended." Don't freak out too much, the deadline for transcripts to be received is Jan 31st. Also, I took one online course to fulfill a prereq and had to post that. I just emailed to ask about the end date and they told me what to put. Since your ORPAS application is likely already submitted, you can email ORPAS and they will tell you how to change info on your online application. Hope this helps!

As for the OGS, I assume since you would be sending your York transcript to ORPAS, that you would just need to upload an unofficial copy.

And otapply, you totally can! It is definitely worth it. The province of ontario hands out a total of roughly 18 million to graduate students each year.

And otapply, you totally can! It is definitely worth it. The province of ontario hands out a total of roughly 18 million to graduate students each year.

do i have to go get new letters of recommendation from my profs for this?! or do they use the ones i had them send in to orpas?

for UofT, new letters, unfortunately. It could also be 2 diff profs than the one's you used from ORPAS if you wanted. For OGS, it has to be 2 academic references.

for other schools, you have to check their website. If you applied to Queen's you are automatically considered so you don't have to do an application for OGS.

Western's Personal Statement suggests that you need a "research project." Is anyone familiar with this? I thought this grant was for the course-based program, but the Statement makes it appear as though a research component is compulsory. Thoughts?

Master's Statement of Interest

You have a maximum 4,000 character limit to present, in a well-constructed essay form, your rationale for choosing the master's degree program you propose to pursue, or continue to pursue, in this application. Format specifications are pre-set with the application and may not be altered. The use of in-text citations are encouraged rather than a final list of references. If you include references at the end, they must be contained within the allowable character limit. An additional bibliography is not allowed. Images are not supported in this application.

Western's Personal Statement suggests that you need a "research project." Is anyone familiar with this? I thought this grant was for the course-based program, but the Statement makes it appear as though a research component is compulsory. Thoughts?

Isn't that for the research-based Masters degrees?

Maybe they want 4000 words on why you want to pursue PT :D

This whole OGS process makes no sense to me. The deadline should be AFTER the offers are sent out. And why the heck can't they just use the same references from the application.

Does anyone know what the value of this OGS is?

Isn't that for the research-based Masters degrees?

Maybe they want 4000 words on why you want to pursue PT :D

This whole OGS process makes no sense to me. The deadline should be AFTER the offers are sent out. And why the heck can't they just use the same references from the application.

Does anyone know what the value of this OGS is?

You would imagine that, but this is specifically the PT application. So the wording of the Statement doesn't make sense to me........

Award is supposed to be $5000 x 2 over two terms (so 10K total per year).

You would imagine that, but this is specifically the PT application. So the wording of the Statement doesn't make sense to me........

Award is supposed to be $5000 x 2 over two terms (so 10K total per year).

I'm almost certain the essay should be about your interest in PT and why you want to pursue PT as a profession. I'll see if I can call them up tomorrow and ask.

15k for 3 terms sounds really nice. My only problem is references. UT wants 2 as well. Have to go reference hunting tomorrow. I was hoping one could be professional but they want 2 academic.

Archived