Premed 101 Forums

Part time courses

Hello - The UofT Med. website states that part time courses will not be accepted in the GPA calculation. What does UofT Med. consider to be part time?

If I took 3 half courses per semester, are those considered to be part time?

Thanks!

EDIT: The university I got my degree from counted <3 courses to be part-time (I took them as an "independent student" prior to enrolment into my undergrad program) , so I'm just wondering if UofT will look at them the same way. I'm hoping they won't count toward my GPA calculation because they weren't very good.

I thought UofT was like McMaster in that it counted all your courses to determine your gpa. You only get to drop the lowest marks when you are on a full courseload. If you take 3 courses during the regular year, then you will not qualify for this.

They do state in their FAQ they don't count part time studies - which I thought was 3.0 credits a year or less.

Does that mean that 0.5 credits are assigned to each half course (1 semester course)?

Yeah it is the US system where courses are often 1 year long - so a one year course is 1.0 credits. We on the other hand seem to like to break everything up even when you almost certainly will be taking two courses in the end (chem, physics, bio, calculus.....). Anyway our one semester standard courses are 0.5 credits.

They do state in their FAQ they don't count part time studies - which I thought was 3.0 credits a year or less.

Although it is true they don't count part-time, 3.0 is not necessarily part time.

We had a seminar where someone from admissions come to our school (to UofT undergrad) and talked about this. They don't decide what part-time/full time is and instead leave it to the undergrad school. UofT arts and science for example considers <= 2.5 to be parttime, and >= 3.0 to be full time, so a 3.0 course-load for me would count as full time.

Which is unfortunate, because if I dropped my first year (3.0 credits) I would take off 2 B's from my record :(

Although it is true they don't count part-time, 3.0 is not necessarily part time.

We had a seminar where someone from admissions come to our school (to UofT undergrad) and talked about this. They don't decide what part-time/full time is and instead leave it to the undergrad school. UofT arts and science for example considers <= 2.5 to be parttime, and >= 3.0 to be full time, so a 3.0 course-load for me would count as full time.

Which is unfortunate, because if I dropped my first year (3.0 credits) I would take off 2 B's from my record :(

Oh well at my university, 3 courses per semester was considered part time. I guess that's a good thing for me then (because I want them to not be counted)? Sorry it's not as favourable for you :(

Archived