Premed 101 Forums

To apply or not to apply.....that is the question.

Guest UNSURE

Guest UNSURE

Hey people,

with all other things considered satisfactory, if you had a mediocore GPA (~ 3.4)...

how do you decide which schools to apply to?

if you are a couple of ticks below the minimum cutoffs or competitive GPA, do you still apply?

if you are a couple of ticks OR 0.1 GPA below the minimum cutoffs/competitive GPA for a school IN YOUR PROVINCE, do you still apply?

if you are a couple of ticks OR 0.1 GPA below minimums/competitives for a school OUT OF PROVINCE, do you still apply?

I need some professional advice in dealing with this matter...

Thanks people.

• 2 months later...

How come this question hasn't been answered?

seems like a popular question..and I'm sure ppl are still asking it these days...

unfortunately, i too have the same dilemma...

Any advice ppl?!?

I tend to think that dents admissions (compared to meds) might place less emphasis on extracurrics/ personal attributes... but I guess if you did a good job in the interview they could put in a word or two for you.

Most schools in canada look first at in-province apps but UWO doesn't care. Take a look at each school's criteria first.

I think it's probably a good idea to test the waters and apply once, if things don't turn out so good but you enjoy research then just get into a MSc program and try again later. If you take a look at the stats for the UWO 2006 class: dentistry.uwo.ca/pages/ab...-stats.pdf you will see that 20% of the class has a masters or higher. This may be due to the fact that they will give "bonus points" for people with honours degrees and grad study. If your mediocre marks are due to a bad year then maybe the GPA calculation at some schools are more suitable (i.e. let you drop the worst year(s))...

Good luck!

Archived