Premed 101 Forums

Feasibility of Job Sharing Once a Practcing Physician?

Guest andrea55

Guest andrea55

*please excuse my title spelling error

Hey.

So I was wondering about whether or not job sharing is a common/ practiced thing here in Canada? I have heard many examples of job sharing in the US, but not much here.

Because lifestyle is becoming such a big factor in choosing a specialty, given that people want to have families etc.

Does job sharing exist in areas such as the surgical specialties and oby/gyn that are considered "uncontrollable" lifestyles?

I mean if 2 physicians could share the job of a general surgeon then wouldn't it just work out that they each worked so many days a week and split the call? I think that this option could increase the number of students heading into these more demanding specialties, primarily because they could know that there are options to work less after residency.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Half as much money?

Continuity of care issues?

Most people don't mind working during the day; it's the nights and weekends that get to you. Many departments have moved to single person coverage after hours for the reasons you cite, but splitting the work even more makes a bigger impact on finances and continuity of care.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived