Premed 101 Forums

Quitting lab

bluechowchowmix

Hey all... I am currently doing my thesis in a lab but I don't like it. However, I want to stay on one day/week during the summer just in case I have to apply to med school again (+ get on my profs good side to give me a good reference letter). Thoughts?

I suggest you stick with it and don't drop. It may suck and you may not like it, but if you want to get a (good!) reference letter from your prof (assuming this is your thesis supervisor you're talking about), then he/she is most definitely NOT going to write you a very flattering letter for med if you quit his/her lab halfway.

Sorry I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear. But sometimes we just gotta suck it up and plow through it. Good luck.

also, going to grad school, uhh it's almost expected that ur supervisor is one of your references...

I suggest you stick with it and don't drop. It may suck and you may not like it, but if you want to get a (good!) reference letter from your prof (assuming this is your thesis supervisor you're talking about), then he/she is most definitely NOT going to write you a very flattering letter for med if you quit his/her lab halfway.

Sorry I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear. But sometimes we just gotta suck it up and plow through it. Good luck.

Hey all... I am currently doing my thesis in a lab but I don't like it. However, I want to stay on one day/week during the summer just in case I have to apply to med school again (+ get on my profs good side to give me a good reference letter). Thoughts?

this post makes me sick. If anyone was wondering why most professors have disdain towards pre-med students, its because of people like this.

Either give it 100% or quit.

i wouldn't say sick :) but i share similar sentiments, but i think i can extrapolate that anything either of us would do grad work in would be something we're passionate about (talking to you about your work i think it's absolutely sick stuff)... unfortunately i think a lot of people do work in fields theyre not too interested in... the work i want to do prior an md in states is insanely up my alley too that i would never really want to quit, since it's so realted to what i'm into and what i want to do non clinically post md... i think you have to remember that some people just do a masters b/c they have nothing better to do... honestly, the prof i mentioned offering me the grad position after only 2 hrs... was *****ing about pre-med students (and believe me, this dudes not jealous of anything like ppl will say, he's very well paid, full prof... he got way before 40, gets to live the chilled out life, not kiss ass, plus people forget good profs (usually those really really passionate about their work) often get these nice pay days from the private sector via patents and other things...) for wasting his time, wasting their own time, and generally thinking they were aspergian obsessive compulsive personality type d-bags who couldn't muster an original thought in life... those aren't my thoughts remember, lol

this post makes me sick. If anyone was wondering why most professors have disdain towards pre-med students, its because of people like this.

Either give it 100% or quit.

Archived