Premed 101 Forums

Cummulative gpa vs supgpa importance

Does anyone know how important the cummulative gpa is compared to the subgpa? I didn't realize orpas would calculate your cumulative gpa by looking at your entire post secondary history compared to your gpa at your current university. I messed up really badly back when I went to Ryerson for a crappy undergrad degree that I attended from back in 04 to 08. I didn't know that this would still haunt me.

According to orpas my cumulative gpa is 3.05 :(. I haven't gotten anything lower than a B+ in the last 4 years. It seems kind of unfair that I would be punished for something I did over 5 years ago.

My supgpa according to orpas was 3.88 , better than I expected. I only got 1 B+ at my current university and the rest has been all A's. Those were all taken within the last 2 years. Does the cumulative gpa hurt my chances now? From the universities websites it states they look at your last 10 full credits but then how come they also calculated our cumulative gpa as well?

I've worked my ass off to get that subgpa but now it seems it was all for nothing as my stupid ryerson grades have pulled my gpa down big time. I'm really worried now :(.

Please don't worry! The universities that say they will only look at sgpa will do just that. The only school that considers your cgpa is Queens; the other schools - Western, UofT and Mac - will not look at your cgpa.

Damn. I applied to Queen's. I only applied to 3 schools. U of t, mcmaster, and queen's. Now I don't even know if I even got a shot at queen's. I spent a month prepping my essay and meeting with the career center advisor multiple times to make my essay stand out. Looks like I better ace that mmi at mac and cap test at u of t.

I got a letter in the mail today (dated Jan 28) with a calculation of my cGPA and subGPA according to ORPAS - maybe yours is on its way? I assume that the original poster also received this letter and that's why she/he is asking!

Ya I just received it today, although it says it hasn't received my college transcripts yet on the form but lists n/r which I'm assuming means not required. On my orpas application on the website it lists it was received so I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow to ask.

Ya I just received it today, although it says it hasn't received my college transcripts yet on the form but lists n/r which I'm assuming means not required. On my orpas application on the website it lists it was received so I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow to ask.

Similar to what happened with me!

None of the schools I applied to required a transcript from CEGEP (post-secondary institution in QC) - they only wanted university. I sent in a CEGEP one anyway and suddenly on this ORPAS verification form, it says that they haven't received my CEGEP transcript but they need it... But if I log onto my ORPAS account it says they received one from my CEGEP (I had it sent back in December).. Very strange!

I'll be in class all day tomorrow so if you get an explanation from ORPAS please share!

Hmm previously it's recorded my college classes on my GPA calculation. Anyone else? Haven't received my ORPAS calculation for this year yet though. But hoping it takes college classes!

Really? If thats the case hopefully it can help bump up my cgpa tremendously.

Similar to what happened with me!

None of the schools I applied to required a transcript from CEGEP (post-secondary institution in QC) - they only wanted university. I sent in a CEGEP one anyway and suddenly on this ORPAS verification form, it says that they haven't received my CEGEP transcript but they need it... But if I log onto my ORPAS account it says they received one from my CEGEP (I had it sent back in December).. Very strange!

I'll be in class all day tomorrow so if you get an explanation from ORPAS please share!

They said they would have sent them in to the universities as well. Its too bad that they don't have a policy of not including old grades in our cgpa calculation like some universities. That really killed my cgpa. I would have had a 3.85 cgpa from my current university but they had to pull my really old grades into the mix :(.

They said they would have sent them in to the universities as well. Its too bad that they don't have a policy of not including old grades in our cgpa calculation like some universities. That really killed my cgpa. I would have had a 3.85 cgpa from my current university but they had to pull my really old grades into the mix :(.

Ah I had a few minutes to call today - they told me that it was just an error that my verification report hadn't included my CEGEP transcript being received. Also my mistake, Queen's asks for the CEGEP transcript - however, my GPAs only take into account courses that I've taken at the university-level

Does anyone have some approximate numbers for GPAs that Ontario schools look for?

I read somewhere that Mac's interview cutoff for OT last year was 3.48... but that is all I know.

For OT:

Western's website says 3.5-3.7 is "competitive".

You are correct for McMaster, the interview cutoffs for last 2 years was 3.48.

For UofT, their website says minimum B/75% average, but most accepted have an A- average (80-84%, 3.5-3.7).

Queens, I'm not 100% sure, but I googled it once and read on another forum the average accepted is 3.4-3.5ish. Queens is more holistic in their application reviews so I imagine their cut-off probably varies more from year to year than other schools.

Most of this info is on their websites and in the ORPAS book. Hope that helped.

I applied last year

These were the stats.

McMaster MMI: PT - 3.75 // OT - 3.55 [these were first round offers, may have fluctuated slightly because of people rejecting their invitations]

UofT CAP cutoff: PT: 3.71

Western Acceptance Cutoff: 3.82 (Waitlist cutoff: 3.75)

Queens: cGPA - 2.89, sGPA - 3.52 [although, making these cutoffs does not guarantee you anything, your personal statement is most important]

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info Philly!

Just like to add, the Western cutoff for OT was 3.64, for the first round of offers. Not sure what the waitlist went down to, but definitely not as far down as PT.

I applied last year

These were the stats.

McMaster MMI: PT - 3.75 // OT - 3.55 [these were first round offers, may have fluctuated slightly because of people rejecting their invitations]

UofT CAP cutoff: PT: 3.71

Western Acceptance Cutoff: 3.82 (Waitlist cutoff: 3.75)

Queens: cGPA - 2.89, sGPA - 3.52 [although, making these cutoffs does not guarantee you anything, your personal statement is most important]

Hope this helps!

Archived