Premed 101 Forums

BEST programs for getting top GPA in UofC

Hi Folks,

I am trying to identify suitable undergrad programs in UofC as my goal is to get the required GPA for med school.

Would like to findout which programs of study are recommended for obtaining decent GPAs. I know Engineering, Comp Sci, Genetics, Phychology, actuarial science etc are not recommended for High GPA.

Universal Student Ratings of Instruction (USRI) is a website which talks about reviews of courses but is not accessible for non students.

What programs of study have people taken where they might have achieved a high GPA.

Any resources where I can lookup this information?

Thanks

Choosing a program based upon the likelihood of getting a "decent GPA" is a terrible idea. Realize that you are going to be in this program for between 2 and 4 years; if you choose something you are not interested in, you may not even make it through.

If you truly are concered about maintaining a GPA high enough for competitive med school application, do what everyone else does: study hard, go to class, and hope for the best. If you can't maintain a GPA this way, you are probably not a good candidate anyways.

Your attitude is one that is likely to be looked unfavorably upon by an admissions committee. They are interested in seeing that you have spent a reasonable amount of time engaged in activities (both studies and extra-curricular) that matter to YOU, and were not chosem solely for their so-called "pre-med merit".

Hi Folks,

I am trying to identify suitable undergrad programs in UofC as my goal is to get the required GPA for med school.

Would like to findout which programs of study are recommended for obtaining decent GPAs. I know Engineering, Comp Sci, Genetics, Phychology, actuarial science etc are not recommended for High GPA.

Universal Student Ratings of Instruction (USRI) is a website which talks about reviews of courses but is not accessible for non students.

What programs of study have people taken where they might have achieved a high GPA.

Thanks

Hi Folks,

It definitely depends on the individual. I did extremely well in engineering (graduated at the top of my class), with my lowest marks being in the supposedly "easy" arts and social science electives I was forced to take.

So there is no way to state that one program is easier than another. It truly depends on an individual's strengths and interests. You are much more likely to do well when studying a subject that truly interests you.

I would recommend studying in a program that you are interested in as well. You'll tend to have a higher GPA that way. But some typical traditional route to enter medicine include bio science, health science, or engineering. Engineering might be harder to get a high GPA, but it'll give you a more solid back up career with decent earning potential. I have met a lot of people in medicine who came from an engineering background. A lot of the problem solving skills you learn in Engineering will come in very handy in medicine.

Hi Folks,

Thanks

I don't know how it is at UofC, but a Kinesiology degree isn't all that difficult. Good plan by the way. Same thing I would have done if I could go back.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived