Premed 101 Forums

EM LoR's

myriad

Is it standard to simply ask for a LoR from a physician you've worked a couple ER shifts with? Or if you have a stellar evaluation from someone but it's only for one shift, is it kosher to ask them to write you a letter? Alternatively do you ask for a letter from the undergrad program coordinator who sees all your end of shift evaluations?

Basically I just feel really awkward asking for a letter from someone who's known me all of 8-16 hours, and could use a bit of advice as to how things are typically done.

Thanks in advance :)

Unfortunately that's how things go in both EM and anesthesia.

It's always best to try and schedule as many shifts as you can with 1 staff. Tell them ahead of time you are going to ask for a letter so that they can pay attention to certain things they may want to comment on.

If you can do a longitudinal elective in EM then that's a good way to get a good letter from someone who knows you more.

Either way, you can save your evaluations and give them to the person who agrees to write you a letter, so they have more to go on then the few shifts they have with you.

If you think you had a great shift with someone, you can always ask.

Remember it doesn't hurt to ask. The worst that is going to happen is they say no. If they say yes, then great, you have it, you don't even need to use it if down the road you feel you may have gotten a better letter from someone else.

The best letters are going to come from people who offer to write them for you. So if anyone offers...take that one!

Is it standard to simply ask for a LoR from a physician you've worked a couple ER shifts with? Or if you have a stellar evaluation from someone but it's only for one shift, is it kosher to ask them to write you a letter? Alternatively do you ask for a letter from the undergrad program coordinator who sees all your end of shift evaluations?

Basically I just feel really awkward asking for a letter from someone who's known me all of 8-16 hours, and could use a bit of advice as to how things are typically done.

Thanks in advance :)

Obviously, the longer you've worked with them the better. Unfortunately, most emerg rotatons have you with a different staff person each shift.

From personal experience, I spent two 3-week rotations in the same emerg, and so I was able to work with the same people enough times. Also, picking up some extra shifts with a staff person you got good evals from will also help to get you a better letter.

Doing research with an emerg staff will allow you to have a longer working relationship with that preceptor, and they would be able to comment better as well. However, this may not be readily available to everyone.

In the end, dont feel awkward asking for a letter after just a couple shifts. They all know how difficult it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived