Premed 101 Forums

DAT Carving

Guest cc

Hey everyone,

I know this may be a bit early, but i had a question about the carving section. I recently bought a book from IQ publications on soap carving (...something in my mind told me to buy this now, not too confident in this section) and it outlines the possible ends to carve, such as notch, flute, square end with flute. Would you recommend that I just practice the notch and flute, and get real good at those, or practice all the possibilities?

Thanks!

cc

Guest Kicoati

Hi cc,

I think the ones you listed are the more probable ones, esp the fluted end almost always come up as one of two ends (based on past posts here that I remember and my conversion with others). The middle is usu. a notch (but there was one time when people had to carve two of them :eek ). The other end can be anything, but I have not heard of people being asked to carve a round end in the real DAT (as some figures you may see in the book you get that are more difficult).

Having said that, it may be to your advantage to get accustomed to different probabilities and get real good at using the blade. But I would focus my effort on the more probably ones, esp when the real test comes close.

Make sure you practise everything. The first time I took the exam we had a fluted triangle and a square, so just to make sure your not surprised in the exam try everything. This last novembers exam was a little easier, it was a triangle (I think 14 mm in from the end, don't ask me why I remember that, out of the whole test, thats what stood out when I look back) and a fluted end.

good luck

epzi

THanks for your replies Kicoati and epzi!

I just tried carving a piece of chalk and the fluted end was b.s. Other than that, it wasn't so bad. :b

cc

Archived