Premed 101 Forums

Practising in USA

Hi all,

Just confirming that PA students educated in Canada are NOT allowed under any circumstance to practise in the US?

Is this looking to be changed?

What about advancements in practising in British Columbia? Is there any leads to this happening anytime soon?

I am very interested in the profession, but am worried to take the leap with such a small scope of allowed practise. Also - the thought of moving to Ontario is quite troubling for me.

In order to get a license to practice medicine as a PA in the USA one must write the NCCPA exam, the PANCE. In order to be eligible to do so, one must be a graduate of an NCCPA accredited school. None of the Canadian schools are NCCPA accredited but people are working on changing that.

Hi all,

Just confirming that PA students educated in Canada are NOT allowed under any circumstance to practise in the US?

Is this looking to be changed?

What about advancements in practising in British Columbia? Is there any leads to this happening anytime soon?

I am very interested in the profession, but am worried to take the leap with such a small scope of allowed practise. Also - the thought of moving to Ontario is quite troubling for me.

As far as I know, BC will still take quite a while for the PA programs to come in - and the US accreditation won't be for many years to come as well. They're introducing the PAs in the provinces and trying to keep them there - not have them move countries. So I would say BC would be many years before any US accreditation comes in, but still I haven't heard of anything yet. As a PA right now and for years to come, your only place of work will most likely be in Ontario, Manitoba, or the Army. They're the only places that have certified PA programs and have introduced them into the healthcare system via funding. BC has no PA funding at the moment from what I understand, and won't for a while. If you go into the field now, you will be stuck working and living in Ontario or Manitoba. If you wait a couple years, BC and other provinces might introduce them. I'm pretty sure this is where it stands now, but feel free to correct me.

New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Alberta have PAs.

Also, civilian PAs may not join the Forces as PAs right away.

As far as I know, BC will still take quite a while for the PA programs to come in - and the US accreditation won't be for many years to come as well. They're introducing the PAs in the provinces and trying to keep them there - not have them move countries. So I would say BC would be many years before any US accreditation comes in, but still I haven't heard of anything yet. As a PA right now and for years to come, your only place of work will most likely be in Ontario, Manitoba, or the Army. They're the only places that have certified PA programs and have introduced them into the healthcare system via funding. BC has no PA funding at the moment from what I understand, and won't for a while. If you go into the field now, you will be stuck working and living in Ontario or Manitoba. If you wait a couple years, BC and other provinces might introduce them. I'm pretty sure this is where it stands now, but feel free to correct me.

Archived