Premed 101 Forums

Another What are My Chances..

GPA Breakdown

1st Year: 0.83 ...... (Abysmal...I know)

2nd Year: 2.50

3rd Year: 3.92

4th Year: 3.95

Currently doing a 5th year. Im expecting a 4.0 this year.

MCAT: 35S

BS: 13

PS: 11

VR: 11

WS: S

First year was terrible, mostly due to family problems (parents getting divorce), although im sure they wouldnt take that as an extenuating circumstance. No excuse for second year...I just screwed up. I pulled myself together for my 3rd and 4th year. Studied my ass off for the mcat and did it in 3rd year summer.

EC's: Vice president for 2 clubs, volunteered in a lab as a research assisstant (no publications), volunteered for Heart and Stroke Foundation for a year, volunteered for habitat for humanity for 2 years, also had a job during 1st year, volunteered with canadian cancer society for a few months, volunteered at toronto western hospital during a summer, volunteered at CAMH (centre for addiction and mental health) for 6 months. One of my clubs was a rotary which hosted its first TEDx talks at my university in which I was deeply involved in (if this counts for anything lol).

My EC's really arent that much, just volunteered at a bunch of places for not even more than a year. No publications either..

What are my chances?

GPA Breakdown

1st Year: 0.83 ...... (Abysmal...I know)

2nd Year: 2.50

3rd Year: 3.92

4th Year: 3.95

VR: 11

What are my chances?

dont need all other info,

based on these, if you do well on CASPer you'll get an interview. If you do well on the interview you'll get in

period

dont need all other info,

based on these, if you do well on CASPer you'll get an interview. If you do well on the interview you'll get in

period

OP has a 3.04 cGPA (given he actually ends up with 4.0 in his 5th year). Chances are VERY slim to land an interview even with a nice CASPER.

A 13/14 VR would have pulled you up a little bit but that 11 is not helping you out much because of your low GPA.

OP has a 3.04 cGPA (given he actually ends up with 4.0 in his 5th year). Chances are VERY slim to land an interview even with a nice CASPER.

A 13/14 VR would have pulled you up a little bit but that 11 is not helping you out much because of your low GPA.

ooh oops didnt see that 0.83 :o

You should apply to USask, for out of province applicants they ONLY consider MCAT. Also if you apply to Dalhousie, you have the option of having them only consider the last two years of school's grades, which would be advantageous for you.

If you're not picky you may not have to give up the goal of becoming a physician, just adjust it a little!

Good Luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I think your chances are better than you might think.

Unfortunately, McMaster's probably not an option - your overall GPA is too low and your VR won't help you out enough. U of T would be an uphill battle as well, though others who know the system better might know of a way there as well.

However, the other Ontario schools (NOSM excepted depending on your geogrpahical status), and quite a few other Canadian schools would definitely give you a strong look. In many schools if you can get to the interview, those first and second year grades won't matter in the slightest - figure out exactly which ones will get you to that stage for your specific situation, apply to those schools and focus on nailing those interviews!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived